Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouses/Asylums

Hi,

Could someone please tell me what information is a avaliable, and where can it be obtained in regards to people that lived/died in workhouses/informorys/asylums.

Thank you.
    [COLOR="Purple"][COLOR="darkorchid"]Thanks

Mystic.........

I'll go and have a look at my Favourites - but have you looked in the Wiki?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

ALPHABETICAL LIST OF ALL SCHOOLS
      www.workhouses.org.uk

Those are the two links I can find readily.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Quite a few links here that might be worth checking
        Workhouses/Hospitals/Asylums And Sanitoriums - Family Tree Forum
        Elaine

Comment

Yes Christine have looked there but not sure what else can be found. Can records be located or other details? I tried looking on The National Archives, but could only locate pages of admission dates, not sure if they can be accessed in more detail.

Mystic.........

Comment

Thanks Christine and Elaine. I will look through the WIKI again and your other links and see if there may have been something that I missed earlier.

Mystic.........

Comment

I went and looked at the original entry and exit books in the local records office for the area because I had found my family in a workhouse in 1881. Of course you need to know which workhouse first though and have at least some time frame when they might have gone in/out or you could be looking for days. The books I looked at were HUGE and covered a large desk. I took my hubby with me and he looked down one side of the page while I looked at the other. We had to wear white gloves of course and were only allowed to carry a pencil and note book.

This is a good link that someone gave me -

The Workhouse - www.workhouses.org.uk
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for that Chrissie. I have found a couple of relatives that were in various workhouses/asylums. I wasnt sure if there was any access to information about their admitance etc into such places or their exit. I have just recieved a death cert for one of my people that died in the Holborn Workhouse. It is very exciting to know that you had the experience of seeing the actual regisiter, and taking notes yourself. How wonderful for you to find your family in such historic books.

Mystic.........

Comment

Some of the London workhouse records are on Ancestry now but they're pretty tortuous to go through as they aren't digitised. These are ones that have come from the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) and Guildhall. I think its only a fraction of what they hold.

The LMA has a search facility so you can find out if the records you want are there - it will only tell you what databases they hold but it might be a good place to start

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I will have a look.

Mystic.........

Comment

Working...
                    X