What kind of cargo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of cargo?

My errant master mariner Robert Wilson has been found (1878)presumed drowned! I now have the details of what purports to be his last journey undertaken from the port of Shields in the North East. The ship was sailing from there to Carthagena and Escombrera trading North of the equator. There is no mention of what the ship was carrying, does anyone have any suggestions?

The ship carried 12 further men and two boys listed in various capacities as crew and no passengers and the trip said for a period not exceeding one year. It left Shields on 21st September 1878 and was declared missing in the November - I suppose there may be a record of inquiry - were there any big storms? I hope to find out more about his ships as I now have his masters certificate number ...yipee more trawling through the microfiche!

Anyway I'd like some suggestions about what might have been traded as cargo if you could help
    Thanks
    Ros

The obvious thing that springs to mind is coal.
    After that it could be any sort of manufactured goods - machinery for example.

Anne

Comment

Cartagena 1st September 1873. British Squadron under..Yelverton...removing Revolted Spanish War Ships Vitoria and Almansa from Escombrera Bay. I can't get the pictures on this computer but there was obviously something going on in 1783 involving removal of Spanish war ships. I agree it may have been coal but perhaps for the British Navy?

Comment

What was the name of the ship?
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

The ships name was Cordelia and Master mariner Robert Wilson was supposed drowned as nothing was heard from the ship after it had left the port of Shields on the 21st September 1878. There were 15 souls on board including a boy of 13.
          Ros

Comment

The Newcastle Courant, Friday December 6, 1878

There is a short piece in this newspaper about the Barque Cordelia (see the post about accessing old (19 Century) newspapers). I found access using my library ticket via Newcastle local studies.

It belonged to Mr Stoker of South Shields and was carrying coals and coke. Captain Wilson was the commander. It was bound for Carthagena. The last definate siting was in the English channel by some pilots off Dover. The Master of The Southern Cross, registered at Sunderland reported seeing a barque in The Bay of Biscay. The davits were hanging over the side on the quarter deck leading him to believe that the (life) boats had been launched. He also saw a vessel leaving the barque. The Master of The Southern Cross intimated that the vessel was on fire. The crew were 15 in number.

Hope this helps

Ayse

Comment

The Glasgow Herald Jan 2nd 1879

Under the title - General Shipping

The Cordelia was noted as missng to LLoyd's (of London)

Comment

Thanks Anne in Carlisle
                Wowee! Ayse
                That is brilliant! I'd checked a number of the old Newcastle Courants but obviously didn't get this one!
                I am always amazed at what others can contribute. Thanks a lot. We suspected that the ship may have been lost in the bay of biscay - my dad was a sailor and he said it was such a dreadful place to get through. It does make me wonder if anyone survived. My dad will be thrilled to hear about this.
                Thanks again
                Ros

Comment

Working...
                X