Occupation - model maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation - model maker

Does anyone know what a model maker did in 1851? I've been through the wiki and cannot find any mention. Is it possible that he could become a "foreman engineer" within 10 years, or alternatively is a framework knitter likely to become a model maker within 8 years.

I'm trying to sort out whether Mary Brown married Joseph Brown - just got what I think is the wrong marriage cert, as this Joseph is a framework knitter.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I would think that they made scale models of things to enable them to show off their designs?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There's a model maker who crops up in some fiction I've been reading. He made models of houses so that the architect could show off his design to a customer who might not be able to interpret an architectural drawing set.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

so you think he might tend more to the engineering side of things? Unfortunately the term engineer covers such a wide variety of occupations (one of mine is called a biscuit engineer!)

Linda
        Linda

Comment

I can't see a framework knitter progressing to model maker unless he had a very lucky break. I suppose a model maker might become a pattern-maker (for iron castings) or some other wood-related occupation.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your help. Will keep plugging away at this one - might yet unravel it.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X