Buttons, My Undoing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttons, My Undoing.

I've been logging my family tree to this forum and now it's the turn of the BUTTONS.
    My mother was a Button [Meryl Amy b1926]who married Ronald Augustus HART.

If you can give me any material that fills gaps I'd be delighted. If the material helps you then I'm pleased.

Father. William 1801 Coddenham, Suffolk, Eng. [NO DEATH]
    Mother. Mary Green married 11 Nov. 1817 Coddenham. [NO DEATH]
    Occupation. Ag. Labourer 1861 census.
    Children.

Lydia..................,1818, Coddenham, Suffolk, Eng.

Daniel..................1820, As above.
    Married. 4 Qrt. 1841 Bosmere. Rachel.
    Died. 1 Qrt.1860 Bosmere
    Children.
    Mary Ann b.1844
    Elizabeth b.1847.
    John b.1849
    William b.1850.
    George b.1851.
    Daniel b.1854.
    [Notes available for the above].

George.................1826 Coddenham, Suffolk. Eng.
    no other info.

Elizabeth...............1827, Coddenham, Suffolk, Eng.
    No other info.

Keziah..................1830, Coddenham, Suffolk.Eng.
    No other info.

William.................1832 Coddenham, Suffolk, Eng.
    Marr. 4 qrt. 1856 Elizabeth Bullett. at Thingoe, Suffolk, Eng.

Children.
    Frederick 1859.
    [No info]

William 1863. [my g/grand father]
    Marr. Elizabeth Salmon [no further info]
    Children.
    Ethel 1896. [NO INFO]

Edward 1894 [NO INFO]

William Robert [GRAND FATHER] 15 Dec.1890.
    Marr. 18 Jan. 1915. Emma Isabel Sowter, Petersham, NSW.
    Children.
    Emma Isabel 10/7/1915
    Betty Marg. 16/11/1916
    Arnold Percy 7/4/1919
    Sylvia Mary 13/6/1921
    Meryl Amy 9/7/1926
    Kevin Robert 16/5/1928

Edward 1894

Amelia 1866. [no info]

Jane 1868. [no info]

Frank c1871. [no info]

Robert..................1835 Coddenham, Suffolk, Eng.
    Marr. 1861 Great Blakham,Suffolk, Eng. Mary Caley b.1839
    Ellen c1861
    William c1864
    Eliza 1867
    Emma E. M. 1869
    Harry A. 1870 Poplar. Died 1927. [no other info]
    Marr. Caroline Wise....... 10 living children.

Elizabeth 1874
    [no info]

Ann.....................1837 Coddenham, Suffolk.
    [No further info]
    Eliza....................1839. [no further info]

As I say if you are able to help fill the gaps that would be greatly appreciated. If I've helped that gives me a little pleasure.
    Sorry about the humorous title.:Big Grin:
    Very best to you and yours, Hawk.
    Kind words bring no blisters on the tongue that speaks them, nor on the ear that hears them.
    Spurgeon.

Do you have a subscription to Ancestry or other pay website? There is a possible George Button born 9/9/1826 Suffolk married to Suzannah Hunt on 20/1/1853 at Gringley on the Hill, Nottinghamshire. The information on the site suggests that George was christened in Salehurst in Sussex. This suggests that the family travelled round looking for agricultural work. By 1861 this family were living in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. Maybe you could check the validity of this information?

Hope this helps

Comment

Have no help to offer at moment but couldn't resist mentioning that as soon as I saw your thread title I guessed it would be a Suffolk family as I taught a family of Buttons and several Harts when I was working in Ipswich. One of the Button girls was an excellent footballer, as were a couple of the Hart boys. Have you inherited that family trait?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Have you had a look at this thread:

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Other sites I use.

Originally posted by ayse View Post
          Do you have a subscription to Ancestry or other pay website? There is a possible George Button born 9/9/1826 Suffolk married to Suzannah Hunt on 20/1/1853 at Gringley on the Hill, Nottinghamshire. The information on the site suggests that George was christened in Salehurst in Sussex. This suggests that the family travelled round looking for agricultural work. By 1861 this family were living in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. Maybe you could check the validity of this information?

Hope this helps
          Hi,
          You can find me on Genesreunited. It is the only pay and use site I use.
          Look if you like at Hart/Button
          Hawk
          Kind words bring no blisters on the tongue that speaks them, nor on the ear that hears them.
          Spurgeon.

Comment

Buttons.

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            Have no help to offer at moment but couldn't resist mentioning that as soon as I saw your thread title I guessed it would be a Suffolk family as I taught a family of Buttons and several Harts when I was working in Ipswich. One of the Button girls was an excellent footballer, as were a couple of the Hart boys. Have you inherited that family trait?
            Not really. My days of footy are well gone, I'm a looker and listener of AFL.
            I don't believe we have an Ipswich connection.
            Very best to you and yours, Hawk.:smilee:
            Spurgeon.

Comment

Suffolk RO Lookups

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Hi Christine,
              I give that site a bit of a look tomorrow. Thank you, Ray
              Spurgeon.

Comment

I Have picked Keziah because it is a family name!!

Kezia(h) Button
                Born 22/11/1829
                Baptised 11/4/1830 Stonham Aspall, Suffolk

Married George Douglas Smith born 1825 Poplar, Middlesex
                1850 Q3 12 463 Bosmere, Suffolk

Keziah had 10 children!!
                George D 1852
                William D 1854
                Ann Elizabeth 1856
                Emma 1856
                Emily 1860
                Alice 1863
                Henry 1865
                Clara 1867
                James 1870
                Arthur 1872
                All were born Poplar, Middlesex

In 1851 census they are inCoddenham and George is a Stone Mason
                Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1797; Folio: 215; Page: 7; GSU roll: 207446.

In 1861 they are in Poplar at James Street
                Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 305; Folio: 88; Page: 14; GSU roll: 542611

In 1871 they are in Poplar still at 9 James Street
                Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 580; Folio: 80; Page: 12; GSU roll: 824895.

George dies in 1878 Q1 1c 513 Poplar

In 1881 they are in Polar at 12 Vesey Street
                Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 505; Folio: 88; Page: 16;GSU roll: 1341112.

in 1891 still at 12 Vesey Street
                Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 329; Folio: 50; Page: 11

In 1901 she is still at 12 Vesey Street
                Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 352; Folio: 38; Page: 25

Keziah dies in 1909 Q2 1c 317

I know you don't have Ancestry but I have added the source info in case you need it one day.

Comment

Hello again

I think I've found your family of Button on the 1841 Census Book: 15, Coddenham; Suffolk; Enumeration District 3, Folio 4, Page1, Line 4. the family members are as follows; William age 40, Mary 45, Daniel age 20, George 15, Elizabeth 14, Keziah 11, William 9, Robert 8, Ann 3 and Eliza 1. William Button and sons Daniel and George are agricultural labourers and all the family are born in county.

1851 Census - Class HO107 Piece: 1797. William born Pettaugh, Suffolk is living in Coddenham with wife Mary born Thornham, Suffolk; children George born Creeting, Suffolk, William born Stoneham Asphall, Suffolk, ,Ann born Coddenham, Eliza born Coddenham, Robert born Coddenham and grandson John Button aged 2 born Coddenham. Father William and children George, William and Robert are all agricultural labourers.

I'll look for some more

All the best

Ayse

Comment

Buttons

William 1861 RG9 1156. William now a widower living with his daughter Eliza and grandchildren William 3 born Dovescourt, Essex and Ann 1. born Coddenham. They are living in Low Road, Parish of Hemingstone, Suffolk William is an agricultural labourer and Eliza his housekeeper. William in this census is born 1787.

Sorry if you already have these details but I normally work forward and then sideways.

Comment

I had another look at the George Button with wife Susannah in the 1861 census. This George was born in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire so I dont think he is yours. I can't find George in the 1861, 1871 or 1881 with birthplace Creting. There are 5 George Button deaths on Free BMD reg in Suffolk between 1851 and 1861 so he could have died during this time. FreeBMD - Search

Comment

Had a look at Ancestry and several trees have Elizabeth marrying a James Fenning. None of them have a marriage date so it looks as if copying information has happened. However on checking the records for James (Dec 1847 Bosmere 12/629) he is marrying an Elizabeth Bulton. (The Fenning family are on the census from 1851 to 1881.)

What does anyone else think?

Comment

Married George Douglas Smith born 1825 Poplar, Middlesex
                          1850 Q3 12 463 Bosmere, Suffolk

Keziah had 10 children!!
                          George Douglass 1852 - 31 Aug 1851
                          William Douglass 1854 - 14 Aug 1853
                          Ann Elizabeth 1856 - 3 Jul 1855
                          Emma 1856 - 13 Sep 1857
                          Emily Kezia 1860 - 16 Sep 1860
                          Alice 1863 - 7 Sep 1862
                          Henry James 1865 - 11 Sep 1864
                          Clara 1867 - 25 Nov 1866
                          James Ernest 1870 - 7 Aug 1870
                          Arthur Douglas 1872 - 11 Jun 1871
                          All were born Poplar, Middlesex
                          These children were all baptised at All Saints, Poplar

There was also William Douglas, b 7 Apr 1878, bap 5 May 1878.

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-11-09, 19:13.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had another look at the George Button with wife Susannah in the 1861 census. This George was born in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire so I dont think he is yours. I can't find George in the 1861, 1871 or 1881 with birthplace Creting. There are 5 George Button deaths on Free BMD reg in Suffolk between 1851 and 1861 so he could have died during this time. FreeBMD - Search
                            Ayse,
                            Yes, I think I can safely say George of Gainsborough is not mine. Ray
                            Spurgeon.

Comment

George Buton.

Ayse,
                              Yes, I think I can safely say George of Gainsborough is not mine. Ray
                              Spurgeon.

Comment

Christine
                                Christine,
                                Thank you for the extra names and detail.
                                Bye the bye love picture you are using in your avatar space.
                                Best wishes, Ray
                                Spurgeon.

Comment

Baptism Dates.

Christine
                                  Hi Christine,
                                  Thank for those dates. Would you have a look at them and tell me which is the baptism date. You'll understand when you read through them.
                                  Very best to you and yours, Ray
                                  Spurgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
                                    Hi Christine,
                                    Thank for those dates. Would you have a look at them and tell me which is the baptism date. You'll understand when you read through them.
                                    Very best to you and yours, Ray
                                    The baptism dates are tacked on afterwards. I saw that some appeared to be before the DoB, but I had assumed that the DoB had been inferred from the age at a census, or life-event (age at marriage, or age at death). As the censuses are taken only part-way through the year, then people born later in the year will appear to have been born a year later than actual, because that year's birthday hasn't happened yet.

Baptism registers usually carry the "abode" (though not always with detail beyond the place-name), the father's occupation, and (if you're lucky - and some of these do) the actual DoB.

Do you have access to Ancestry for the UK (LMA records) info? If not personally, do you have a library membership that would give access if you visit?

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-11-09, 14:05.

Comment

The baptism dates are tacked on afterwards. I saw that some appeared to be before the DoB, but I had assumed that the DoB had been inferred from the age at a census, or life-event (age at marriage, or age at death). As the censuses are taken only part-way through the year, then people born later in the year will appear to have been born a year later than actual, because that year's birthday hasn't happened yet.

Baptism registers usually carry the "abode" (though not always with detail beyond the place-name), the father's occupation, and (if you're lucky - and some of these do) the actual DoB.

Do you have access to Ancestry for the UK (LMA records) info? If not personally, do you have a library membership that would give access if you visit?

Christine
                                      Hi Christine,
                                      No pity I'm not with Ancestry. And getting to the Library is out of the question. I am unable to leave home under my own steam and even so it's difficult with help.
                                      Very best wishes,
                                      Hawk.
                                      Spurgeon.

Comment

Ancestry

Christine
                                        Hi Christine,
                                        No pity I'm not with Ancestry. And getting to the Library is out of the question. I am unable to leave home under my own steam and even so it's difficult with help.
                                        Very best wishes,
                                        Hawk.
                                        Spurgeon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X