Is this normal/common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal/common?

I was showing a colleague today, how easy it was to find information on people on the web, if you know where to look.

I got her interest when she spotted that her paternal grandparents had actually married, something she didn't think had happened (her scream of delight was something to behold, my ears still haven't recovered!), and she gave me permission to delve further into her family.

So, I'm someone who has taken most of my family back to the 18th century and not had an ancestor from outside of England yet.

I have only gone back 3 generations with hers and found a Scottish Gr-grandmother with an Irish father!

Now my question - the Irish father married in what appears to be the bride's home, 'after Publications according to forms of the United Presbyterian Church'. Does anyone know if this was common, to be married at a house instead of a PoW?

Thanks
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

In 1879, a relative married thus -

Charlotte McCusker married Samuel Graham Nesbitt in 48 Abbotsford Place, Glasgow, 23 January 1879 after Publication, according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland, in the District of Gorbals in the County of Lanarkshire.
    Joy

Comment

Hi,
      Yes many of mine married at home or even at the church manse. It was quite common in Scotland.
      Last edited by herky; 10-11-09, 23:30.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi - I have a few that married at home in the East End of London in the 1800's and early 1900's.

Comment

Yes, almost all my Scottish Ancestors married at the bride's home, including my mother!

OC

Comment

I also have a lot of Methodists who married either in their own homes or the manse in Australia.

Comment

Thank you everyone. I guess the practice certainly isn't uncommon.
              Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

I have even had some of my Scots marry at a hotel. In fact, I think very few of them actually married in a church,either in Scotland, or abroad, although they were all strict Presbyterians.

Beverley

Comment

A bit off topic....

My Scots Presbyterians owned pubs all over Australia.....mine seemed to marry in churches though. It was my Methodists who married homes.

Comment

Working...
                  X