Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only two-&-a-half years to USA 1940 census online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only two-&-a-half years to USA 1940 census online!

1940 Census, General Information

April 2012... I'm wishing my life away! I really shouldn't do that, but I'm so looking forward to getting access to this census to see just what Leonard Keith BENNETT was up to - where he was - whom he was with - and so on (not to mention how old he was admitting to being! ;) ).

The link above gives a good description of what info will be made available when it comes online.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-11-09, 18:24.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Canada 1921 should be available 2013?

And this is another one I'm after - to see what LKB was doing (and where, and with whom) in 1921, probably in Toronto, or thereabouts.

A July 2005 post on 1911 Canadian Census Online Now!!
    reckons that the Canadian legislation gives a 92-year gap between the census and its becoming available to the public.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      And this is another one I'm after - to see what LKB was doing (and where, and with whom) in 1921, probably in Toronto, or thereabouts.

A July 2005 post on 1911 Canadian Census Online Now!!
      reckons that the Canadian legislation gives a 92-year gap between the census and its becoming available to the public.

Christine
      Hi Christine - You might be able to get some info now;
      1911 Census of Canada Indexing Project
      Automated Genealogy

Comment

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the 1911 is just too early for L(K)B. He was still getting married in England in the November. He emigrated in the spring of 1916 (we reckon - normally I wouldn't rely on dates he quotes, but that also ties in with my grandmother re-marrying in 1923 - i.e. 7 years later - enough to have had him declared dead).

I have him immigrating from Toronto to the USA at Detroit in 1924. I'd just like to get an idea of what he was up to in between.

Christine

PS - the 1911 did have the info about his supposed "cousins" in Toronto - to whom I have managed to find no connection whatsoever... yet.

Comment

Have you found him leaving the UK on fmp? Was he with his wife? Sounds like he was a bit of a character!

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
            Have you found him leaving the UK on fmp? Was he with his wife? Sounds like he was a bit of a character!
            He does seem to have been "a bit of a character". He didn't take his wife and sons with him when he emigrated. His USA immigration papers refer to having travelled to Montreal in May 1916 on the Metagama. I've looked at the passenger lists (Canadian Archives online), including those for other crossings, and been to Kew and searched the whole year of crew lists and agreements for the ship (and retained digital images so that I can go back and have another look). In neither crew lists nor passenger lists have I been able to find his record (nor that of anyone with sufficiently similar attributes for me to "claim" the record)!

Perhaps I'll go and have another look on FMP.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              He does seem to have been "a bit of a character". He didn't take his wife and sons with him when he emigrated. His USA immigration papers refer to having travelled to Montreal in May 1916 on the Metagama. I've looked at the passenger lists (Canadian Archives online), including those for other crossings, and been to Kew and searched the whole year of crew lists and agreements for the ship (and retained digital images so that I can go back and have another look). In neither crew lists nor passenger lists have I been able to find his record (nor that of anyone with sufficiently similar attributes for me to "claim" the record)!

Perhaps I'll go and have another look on FMP.

Christine
              Hmmm...sounds like he used a different name or someone else's when he left the U.K....does that sound feasible for him? When was he born?
              Last edited by naomiatt; 11-11-09, 08:46.

Comment

Hmmm...sounds like he used a different name or someone else's when he left the U.K....does that sound feasible for him? When was he born?
                It all sounds very feasible - or he managed to be a stowaway for the whole period of the crossing and the landing. And I even looked (in the crew lists) at all the names of people who'd gone out but not come back - for whatever reason - to see if there were any likely candidates amongst them. Whoever it was would, almost certainly, have had to be able to justify a Birmingham (or thereabouts) accent - I can't imagine that a tram driver of 1911 would not have had a regional accent.

When was he born? Now there's a question! :roll-eyes: It's more a question of "On this occasion, when did he claim to have been born?"!
                • I have a birth cert, for 6 March 1887, that ties in with all the likely evidence - found by working backwards from my father's 1915 birth cert, the 1911 marriage cert, and then via 1901 and 1891.
                • I found his SSDI record after I realised that it might be worth looking (my mother had told me about the rumour he'd gone to the USA) - from that I ordered his SS5† (where I was able to match the signature to my grandparents' wedding cert), and his death cert.
                • The 1936 SS5, in common with his 1924 immigration docs and the 1939 naturalization docs claimed 1893 as a DoB (still 6 March). The immigration docs describe him as single (of course!). The SS5 tallied with the ancestry for him that I'd deduced already. The SS5 and naturalization docs tally for employment, too, in a way that was not incompatible with the UK employments given on his (1st) marriage cert, and on my father's birth cert.
                • In 1930 he admitted to being 43, but claimed that he was 43 at his first marriage (presumably to the wife, Ruth, with whom he was sharing accommodation in Detroit, along with her son) - which would have meant he was only just married, but there's no Michigan marriage for a Leonard Bennett to a "Ruth" in the right time-frame, or with the right father, that Michigan was able to turn up for me. § (That doesn't mean that they weren't married somewhere else, of course - perhaps in her birth state of Indiana.)
                • The 1939 naturalization docs referred to a different wife, whom he'd married in Nov 1937 in Sullivan County, Tennessee. She would have been a lot younger than he. I contacted Tennessee for a copy of the marriage record - for that sort of date, they are only able to supply a copy of the license (in USA-speak) and a sort of counterfoil which says the marriage took place. In Nov 1937, he was claiming (if I read the scrawly writing correctly) to be 34 (DoB 1903!)! - But she was only 19, so one can imagine the social pressure to appear to be nearer her in age.
                • The 1967 death cert gives him as 80 - which reverts to 1887 as DoB. His widow (a different lady from the previous ones, and apparently much nearer him in age, having been married before and with a son of her own - I've managed to trace quite a bit about that family) didn't know his parentage, apparently.

Christine

† for anyone reading this who doesn't know the jargon... SS5 = social security number application
                § my grandmother, his first wife, had died in June 1927, aged only 40 - who knows whether or not he was aware of that?
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-11-09, 17:17.

Comment

..and I thought my lot were a pickle! ; -)
                  Do you have the surnames of the different partners along the way bar the widow who you have info for.
                  Wonder if you can find out more through burial records, obits etc but in a back handed way through the partners. Any military records? Any children from these different ladies?

Comment

..and I thought my lot were a pickle! ;)
                    Do you have the surnames of the different partners along the way bar the widow who you have info for.
                    Wonder if you can find out more through burial records, obits etc but in a back handed way through the partners. Any military records? Any children from these different ladies?
                    Thanks for your thoughts - they all help to stimulate the mind.

I've attached the 1936 SS5 signature to compare with the 1911 marriage signatures to show why I think it's the same person. (See "Thumbnail")

I have a possible surname for the very young wife - but, as she was born 1915-1920, she could still be alive, so I hesitate to quote her whole name all together. Her surname was something like FEBUARY / FIHUARY - but it's very hard to read the handwriting on the license and the marriage-counterfoil (see 1937 attachment). The only trace of the correct first names + PoB + age in 1920/1930 doesn't give a surname like that at all! It's VESELOVSKY - or a variant. In 1939, he says her DoB was 22 Dec 1915, but she's recorded as 19 when they married 25 Nov 1937; I think that's just to make the age-gap smaller. The naturalization document in 1939 says that there were no children (at that date) of the marriage.

I have no surname for "Ruth". As her son (I presume the stepson was her son, given that his age works with her age-at-first-marriage) was using "BENNETT", I have nothing to go on for her earlier married name.

In the 1930 census, under "Whether a veteran of US military or naval forces" he's entered "Yes", and for "What war or expedition" he's put "WW". However... I have found no evidence of his having fought in WW1. His immigration papers refer to his having arrived in Montreal in May 1916, which can't have been long after he left his first family in Birmingham - at which stage he'd shown no sign of being a soldier or seaman. I haven't found any trace of him (yet) in the Canadian war records. I don't know when he'd have had the chance to fight in the US forces.

To find earlier-wife obituaries, I'd have to know when and where they died - which I don't (yet).

Christine
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 12-11-09, 18:24.

Comment

Hi - The E L bit is easy! ; -) Could you put it as a separate question on FTF and see what people think...At first I thought it was Farasay....then closer February...Faralley??
                      I'm not sure about the thumbnail signatures...poss they could be different...could you put that as a question as well..
                      Have you tried Len, Lenny, Leon, Leo etc...Keith as the first name....

Comment

Hi Christine - trying to send you a PM but you're box is full.

Comment

Hi Christine - trying to send you a PM but you're box is full.
                          That's a bit weird: I've deleted one, just to make sure, but I now have only 146 out my 500 allowance.

You could send me an email? I'll PM you my e-address again, in case you've lost it.

Christine

Comment

Hi Christine - The Library and Archives of Canada have updated information;
                            Welcome to the LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES CANADA website | Bienvenue au site Web BIBLIOTHÈQUE ET ARCHIVES CANADA

Comment

Thanks, Naomi

I had a brief look, after you sent the links, but didn't dare spend too much time as I have a load of stuff to get done (the Church's Christmas Fair is one part of that!). The brief glimpse suggests that it's promising!

Christine

Comment

Hi, I have a connection with the Bennetts in Tipton, My husbands grandmother married a John Bennett b1899 in Bloomsbury which I believe is near Tipton and most of his relations come from Tipton, my husband included. Could there be a connection with yours, Thanks and good luck. Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                                  Hi, I have a connection with the Bennetts in Tipton, My husbands grandmother married a John Bennett b1899 in Bloomsbury which I believe is near Tipton and most of his relations come from Tipton, my husband included. Could there be a connection with yours, Thanks and good luck. Jazz
                                  I certainly wouldn't rule out a connection.

The info I have suggests that the family was in southwest Leicestershire in the early/mid C19th, but were by no means fixed there. There seem to be links to Yorkshire, Lancashire and Nottinghamshire - possibly only that the families went to those places in the search for work. They ended up in the Birmingham area - and my great-grandparents were married in Tipton... before being in Lancs and coming back again.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                  X