Tower colliery, Hirwaun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower colliery, Hirwaun

My great grandfather, Thomas John Davies, worked at tower colliery, hirwaun. He had an accident there which i think resulted in serious injuries to his leg(s) i would like to know if they keep records, as i would like to know what happend

might be best to have a look here:

Tower Colliery
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

had a look
      can't see anything to do with accidents
      so theres no offical records i could order?

Comment

You could try the local county record office as they may well hold the inquest reports, as well as local papers reporting it. If it was a major incident then you may well find it reported nationally in the Times newspaper, which is available online through subscription, or free through a library.

I have also been trying to find out about a colliery recently - mine was in West Yorkshire and tracked down the records to West Yorkshire Archives, although they didn't hold anything for the time period I was after. The National Coal Board had deposited the records with them, so it could be the same case in Wales and they will be in the local record office...

Comment

have you had a look in our wiki?

we have a section on mining and there might be something there?

Mining and Heavy Industry - Family Tree Forum
          Julie

Comment

Thanks i will check the wiki ( thats one thing i never remember to do!)

Thank you, i will check the local paper and records

Comment

Leah if you click on the link I gave in my other post (where it says mining and heavy industry) it will take you directly to that page in the wiki. :smilee:
              Julie

Comment

Tower Colliery was I think the last working colliery in South Wales, so hopefully the records have survived.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thank you

yea, i guess that gives it a good chance of some surviving records

Comment

The biggest collection of records nationally is here The Coal Mining History Resource Centre  

It may be worth emailing Ian Winstanly as I think this is an ongoing project.
                    Barbara

Comment

Working...
                    X