Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Military Records Problem

Hi

I wonder if anyone has had similar problems as me. I am searching for two people in my tree and have been searching through the military records but cannot find them.
    I found my great grandfathers brother within minutes of starting, which was very interesting to read through.
    But am a little lost at the moment as to how to find my great grandfather and also my great uncle.
    I have service numbers which are not showing anywhere, also i know that my great uncle died in a hospital in france when it was bombed but looking now on ancestry it says the theatre of war is aldershot, surely this is england?
    my great grandfather survived the war, and i know which regiment he was in but this isn't helping me too much.
    I did find his medal roll on the site but nothing else came up.
    yeah so am very lost at the moment.
    I have looked for all this information on ancestry.co.uk as they have added new military records but need some help.

if anyone can help would be grateful
    thanks
    emma

They may be part of the ones that were destroyed in WWII.

I haven't found my grandfather's records on Ancestry either.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Emma,

I'm very much a beginner so I fear I may not be able to help too much... but I searched on ancestry for my ancestors military records, and only turned up one image. I then changed to using the 'old search' on there, and found a few more things for the same person.

Good luck finding them!

Comment

Hi Emma - have you looked at the NA Medal Card site without using the numbers you have and just a last name?
        The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

Comment

thanks wendy, i was thinking that might have been the reason, was trying to dig and dig just cause my mum and nan are interested in finding them
          think i'll give it another chance then give in i think!

rachandgarry - how do you get to the old search on ancestry?? not sure i've seen it, is well worth a check

Comment

naomiatt no i hadn't thought of trying there, i looked about a year ago but good idea i'll go have a look there
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by egg455 View Post
              thanks wendy, i was thinking that might have been the reason, was trying to dig and dig just cause my mum and nan are interested in finding them
              think i'll give it another chance then give in i think!

rachandgarry - how do you get to the old search on ancestry?? not sure i've seen it, is well worth a check
              On the right hand side at the top is "old search" - when it comes up, make sure you click on 'advanced' which i think is under the search button.

Also, for the WW1 stuff, I found it easier to (after changing to the old search) click on the search at the top, and choose military, then search.

Hope these rambling instructions help!

Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by egg455 View Post
                naomiatt no i hadn't thought of trying there, i looked about a year ago but good idea i'll go have a look there
                thanks
                Not a prob. Not sure what regiments you have but can try this as well for
                WW1 Ask Away

Comment

Hi Emma

If you would like to post up the details of the 2 you are looking for we'll be able to see if we can find anything else. Over half of the service records were destroyed in an air raid in WW2 so you may well be unlucky with those.

The reference to Aldershot is a glitch on Ancestry. A lot of them say that. Have you found a record of the death on here?

:: CWGC ::

It may give more information
                  Jackie

Comment

thanks for that night owl, yeah i did find the death record on that site, hence my confusion.

the information is

Patrick John Cunningham
                    Royal Field Artillery
                    service number - 4180 and also 677072
                    his parents were mary ann and patrick cunningham
                    from kingstown dublin
                    born 1897 (not a exact year but worked out from death)
                    died in 1964

John William Pettit (on death record becomes pettitt)
                    Lancashire Fusiliers - 18th Battalion
                    Service number - 24888
                    also says this information on death record FORMERLY 21379, K.R.R.C.
                    Died in france 16/12/1917 of wounds
                    born 1895
                    he was from lambeth his parents are john and ada pettit

if anymore information is helpful just say, i'll keep searching as well
                    thanks for the idea night owl
                    emma
                    Last edited by egg455; 10-11-09, 12:09.

Comment

Re Patrick

Have a look here which tells you how to interpret a medal card. You may be able to work out a bit more from that.

Researching a soldier: interpreting a medal index card

I would then suggest you go on the Great War Forum and ask there - if the service records aren't available they may still be able to give you some more information. Sometimes they can tell you stuff just by looking at the Regimental numbers.

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)
                      Jackie

Comment

Re John

I can't find anything else on him on Ancestry. I don't know where the information came from about K.R.R.C on Soldiers Died in the Great War because nothing else comes up for that number. There isn't a separate medal card for it and its not mentioned on the one you've got (although that medal card doesn't mention that he died either)

I'd try the Great War Forum for him as well. As you know his regiment and date of death they may be able to tell you what the battalion were doing then

In case you're interested, there is a photo available of his grave on here

The War Graves Photographic Project
                        Jackie

Comment

Oh and there are some photos of Etaples on our Wiki

War Memorials - Family Tree Forum
                          Jackie

Comment

thanks night owl for your help i'm going to post on the other forum you suggest see if anyone there might know something of interest.
                            the stuff about the K.R.R.C came from the death record on military.genealogy site under supplementary information but i have no way to confirm other than it says on there.
                            but thanks for all your help

and those other sites are good thanks for that
                            emma

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                              Re John

I can't find anything else on him on Ancestry. I don't know where the information came from about K.R.R.C on Soldiers Died in the Great War because nothing else comes up for that number. There isn't a separate medal card for it and its not mentioned on the one you've got (although that medal card doesn't mention that he died either)
                              The information for the original publication of Soldiers Died in the Great War was collated from service records around 1920/21 - obviously well before so many were lost during WW2

Medal Index Cards will only show details of service that made a recipient eligible for medals - overseas service of some kind (the explanation page on the NA site details what the eligibility was for each one) - so a medal card won't show any details of service in another Regiment/Corps prior to going overseas which presumably was the circumstances with this man - originally 21379 in KRRC but only served overseas after being transferred to LF as 24888

Cheers
                              Sue

Comment

Patrick Cunningham 677072

Hi All

I am very new to this site,
                                Patrick Cunningham is my Grand Father, service number 677072.

regards

Crocky

Comment

Hello crocky and welcome to the Forum.

The poster has not been on this site for several years but you can send a personal message by clicking on their username and selecting to send a message and if their e mail address is still valid they will get an e mail from the forum.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                    Hello crocky and welcome to the Forum.

The poster has not been on this site for several years but you can send a personal message by clicking on their username and selecting to send a message and if their e mail address is still valid they will get an e mail from the forum.

Edna
                                    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for putting me right.

take care,
                                    all the best,
                                    cheers for now.

Crocky, Liverpool, Merseyside

Comment

Working...
                                    X