The Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798 - good source of information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798 - good source of information

We went to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury on Friday, and we were trying to locate where my Jeffcoat ancestors were farming in Upper Winchendon.

The lady working in the record office produced the
    The Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798
    "In February 1798, with the imminent threat of invasion by French forces, returns were ordered to be made of all able-bodied men between the ages of fifteen and sixty years who were not already serving in a military capacity. Lists were also to be made of the numbers of draught horses, waggons and carts and their owners and of those occupying wind and water corn mills."

I found my ancestor Joseph Jeffcoat and his eldest son John, who were dairymen at Upper Winchendon.
    It states that Joseph had:

7 horses
    3 wagons
    3 carts

I thought I would point out this resource to others who might have agricultural ancestors. I would imagine this information is available throughout the country, but you would have to check with your local record office.

I was thrilled, because I now have printouts of all the births of the Jeffcoat children - from the Quaker records. Most of them married spouses from the Church of England and my ancestor Daniel, son of Joseph, had his children baptised in the beautiful little church at Upper Winchendon.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Oh cool!

Its one thing to you know a date for a birth, marriage etc, but its even more fun knowing how many horses and carts someone had; you can really start to imagine their life!

Have you taken photos of the places?

At some point, I'm going to visit the various churches, graves, addresses etc that I'm uncovering and put the photos in my tree!

Rachel

Comment

Quite agree.

Someone on the Buckinghamshire rootsweb mailing list sent me details for my something-grandfather as follows:
      Edward was a servant in the Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798; this is a list of all able-bodied men aged between fifteen and sixty years who were not Quakers, clergymen, or serving in the army but who were capable of serving in the army.
      Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
        Quite agree.

Someone on the Buckinghamshire rootsweb mailing list sent me details for my something-grandfather as follows:
        Edward was a servant in the Buckinghamshire Posse Comitatus 1798; this is a list of all able-bodied men aged between fifteen and sixty years who were not Quakers, clergymen, or serving in the army but who were capable of serving in the army.
        That's interesting, Joy, because Joseph and his wife Mary were Quakers! I think they were also listing available resources too - hence the carts etc.

At this time my great-great-great grandfather Daniel was at the Quaker school in Yorkshire - Ackworth. He was there from 1798-1800.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I'll have to check for my Chowns if I can wangle a trip to Aylesbury sometime. Thanks, Elizabeth.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, try googling - I found a catalogue somewhere this morning.

If I go back again, I must remember to tell you because it would be very quick to do a look-up.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Nell, where did they live?

It takes ages to download but I'm in now!

There are quite a few Chowns!!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Nell, these are the ones they have:

Chown (Chowns), Charles 237; Clark 232;
                Robert 232; Thomas 28, 52', 182; William

The numbers are the pages.

I'll be back soon!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

So far they have been in Bledlow Ridge, Ivinghoe, Little Marlow and Great Marlow.

Most are labourers.

Thomas Chown of Bledlow Ridge has:

7 horses 1 wagon and 2 carts!

It's hard to find the places they live sometimes as the scroll function goes beserk!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

is this just buckinghamshire? sounds like a good resource.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      is this just buckinghamshire? sounds like a good resource.
                      I think I read somewhere that Buckinghamshire is the only county or one of the only counties that has the records intact.

When you go to the Centre for Buckinghamshire studies it is on the shelves as a book and has an index of names in the back as in the link I posted.

If people are interested in other counties, a query to the relevant record office might help.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth - thanks for this! Found one of my Flexmans in Aston Clinton - an ag lab, naturally :Wink:

Comment

Lindsay - Did any of your Flexmans get as far as Marsh Gibbon (or come from MG)? I have an Anne Flaxman b1706, marrying John Mansel in MG, but I can't find anything else about her.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            Nell, where did they live?

It takes ages to download but I'm in now!

There are quite a few Chowns!!

Thank you for the link.
                            Joy

Comment

Hi Julite.

My Flexmans drifted mainly between Aston Clinton and Buckland. I've got them there back to about the mid 18th century.

There were Flexmans in Halton earlier than this - including a Daniel Flexman who seems to have married 3 or 4 times and had 16 children including 5 called Daniel, but I've never managed to find a connection to them.

I haven't spotted any in MG.

Comment

Thanks for this Elizabeth, I have found a couple of mine on there.

~~~Waves~~~ to cousin Lindsay!

:smilee:

Joanie

Comment

Before I started wading through this, I have just read the introduction - the Miss G.M. de Fraine is the person who did most of the de Fraine family tree which got me started on this lark!! She was my first cousin twice removed and I have often wished that I could show her how much I have been able to add since.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                  X