Where do I look for Emigration to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I look for Emigration to Australia

Does anyone know if there are any records for the late 1920's through to pre WW2 that I can search to prove my great gransfather's brother moved to Australia?

Thanks,

FindmyPast have Passenger Lists for people leaving the UK 1890-1960.

Ancestry also have emigration records, which includes some Australian records.
    Immigration & Emigration Records - Ancestry.co.uk
    Elaine

Comment

If you check the Wiki in the 'Australian' section, there are numerous links you could look through to see if your man arrived here. The National Archives has online data which give some passenger arrivals and war records.

Sign in as 'guest' National Archives of Australia - General search

Beverley

Comment

Hi - Any idea what State he came to?

Comment

Did you find the info for him?

Comment

If you give me his name and date of birth I can look on Find my Past.

Comment

thanks, I have not been able to find him

Arthur Holbrook - aged 48 in 1926 from Bristol - prob left post 1930 and before WW2.

Thanks for looking for me.

Comment

Would he have been on his own, or with a wife and children? If so, can you post their names too?

Comment

He's not listed on the Australian online electoral rolls, which go up to 1954, although South Australia isn't included.

Comment

thank you for looking - I don;t have this information - will see if my mother knows and post again next week.

However, the 1911 census says;

HOLBROOK, Arthur Head Married M 33 1878 Mason Bishopston Bristol
                    HOLBROOK, Annie Arnold Wife Married 9 years F 34 1877 Curry Rival Somerset
                    HOLBROOK, Doris Emily Daughter F 7 1904 Bishopston Bristol
                    HOLBROOK, Thomas Henry Son M 5 1906 Bishopston Bristol
                    HOLBROOK, Fredrick ArthurSon M 4 1907 Bishopston Bristol

So good chance went with wife annie at the very least.
                    Last edited by oliveriles; 13-11-09, 15:09.

Comment

Can't see any sign of them - where did the information about them going to Australia come from?

Comment

Thomas and Frederick died in England:

Name / Birth Date / Death Registration Month/Year / Death Age (est) / District / Inferred County

Thomas Henry Holbrook / 4 May 1905 / Jun 1991 / 86 / Bristol / Gloucestershire

Frederick Arthur Holbrook / 28 Sep 1906 / Jan 1998 / 91 / Bath and North East Somerset / Somerset

Comment

And so did Doris:

Name / Spouse Surname / Date of Registration / District / County (inferred)

Doris E Holbrook / Rice / Oct-Nov-Dec 1924 / Bristol / Gloucestershire, Somerset

Cyril L G Rice / Holbrook / Oct-Nov-Dec 1924 / Bristol / Gloucestershire, Somerset

Name / Birth Date / Death Registration Month/Year / Death Age (est) / District / Inferred County

Doris Emily Rice / 26 Jun 1903 / Sep 1992 / 89 / Bristol / Gloucestershire

Comment

Thank you.

The information is from my mother talking about her grand fathers brother - Can't go into details for the reason why as its a public forum -let's just say there was a family dispute.

Comment

I wonder if this could be Arthur's death?

Bath Death indexes for the years: 1969
                              Surname / Forename(s) / Age / Sub-District / Registers At / Reference

HOLBROOK / Arthur Charles / 90 / Bath B - First Series / Bath / BB1/B4B/290

His son Frederick's death is listed in Bath D district.

If the parents went to Aus, this would mean Arthur at least came back; I can't find him or Annie in the incoming passenger lists to the UK, but they only go up to 1960.
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-11-09, 20:19.

Comment

thank you for all your work I don't think Arthur was a charles and there is an Arthur Charles born in Kent around 1878 which is defo not my guy. However its defo worth looking at so will get the certs and see what it says - thanks for your help.

Comment

If they migrated to Australia after 1921 an before 1950, you might (should) be able to find their migration records at the National Archives website (National Archives of Australia). But I cannot see anything. You could also try NZ. There was a family of three Mstr Holbrook, one Mrs and one Miss on the ORONTES in 1924, but no first names recorded. Found a possible marriage (on freebmd) for Doris E Holbrook in Bristol in early 1920s, so don't know for sure.

Di
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia
                                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                  X