Long shot: WA - Aussie Births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long shot: WA - Aussie Births

Is there anyway that I, having both parents names, can find out if they had any children?

I've got a child's name (sort of) and can guess a possible circa year of birth but I just can't get any link between parents and child.

John, have you checked the links on the Australia page in the wiki.
    One of the links under Western Australia (Registry of Births Marriages & Deaths) takes you to an online index.
    Searching WA Online Indexes
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      John, have you checked the links on the Australia page in the wiki.
      One of the links under Western Australia takes you to an online index of BMDs
      Hi Elaine, I'm struggling a bit, I've checked those indexes but I just can't get a link between parents and child. It maybe that there is no easy way to make a connection. I don't think it's helping that what we've found about the child may be mistranscribed, ie. born 1987 but is more likely to have been born 60 years earlier.

Comment

Not easy with a possible mistranscription like that.
        Is there any way of checking the data against the original?
        Sorry - don't know much about Aussie research! :emb:
        Elaine

Comment

The WA births indexes online at

go to 1932, but on my trial run for my eldest sister, did not show parents. You would need to order the certificate. They certainly will not find a person born in 1987.:emb:

You might be able to find a link via the electoral rolls, always supposing the person in question was still living with their parents when they were of age to vote.

Another route to follow might be to find the death of the parents and ask SKS to run a search in the newspapers around the relevant date/s to see if children are mentioned.

A query on the DPS link Jood supplied might just dig a response out of the woodwork...WA does not have a huge population and a few decades back, an amazing number of people were inter-related (no, Sandgropers do not have three eyes and webbed feet :Big Grin

Failing all that, there is a free newspaper column in the West Australian where you can ask for help on the lines of "I am seeking descendants of Mr X & wife nee Y". I haven't got the link to hand but will have a rummage for it.

Edit: OK, I've had a successful rummage..the link to the newspaper column is
          email :canyouhelp@wanews.com.au
          Last edited by Macbev; 09-11-09, 10:03.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Not easy with a possible mistranscription like that.
            Is there any way of checking the data against the original?
            Sorry - don't know much about Aussie research! :emb:
            Originally posted by Macbev View Post
            The WA births indexes online at

go to 1932, but on my trial run for my eldest sister, did not show parents. You would need to order the certificate. They certainly will not find a person born in 1987.:emb:

You might be able to find a link via the electoral rolls, always supposing the person in question was still living with their parents when they were of age to vote.

Another route to follow might be to find the death of the parents and ask SKS to run a search in the newspapers around the relevant date/s to see if children are mentioned.

A query on the DPS link Jood supplied might just dig a response out of the woodwork...WA does not have a huge population and a few decades back, an amazing number of people were inter-related (no, Sandgropers do not have three eyes and webbed feet :Big Grin

Failing all that, there is a free newspaper column in the West Australian where you can ask for help on the lines of "I am seeking descendants of Mr X & wife nee Y". I haven't got the link to hand but will have a rummage for it.

Edit: OK, I've had a successful rummage..the link to the newspaper column is
            email :canyouhelp@wanews.com.au
            I'm not really overly experienced with researching on the Aussie side of things but think I'm taking all the correct steps.

Trouble is if I go to c1932 nothing shows as I think (but can't be sure) it may have been mistranscribed to 1987.

I know both the parents names/births/marriage/deaths. Married 1928 so I'm presuming that the child's birth may have been shortly after (can't be 1987!).

I've checked the electoral rolls but the child doesn't appear to be living with the parents.

The only real evidence that I have of the child existing is the mention of her on two documents that Marion sent me. One of the documents is a Biographical index for her father from the Uniting Church in Australia archives and the other document is a newspaper article for her father's death.

I'll definitely have a go with that email address though.

Thank you for the ideas Elaine & Beverly, I'll let you know if/when I get any further.

Comment

Hi John,

You were too quick off the mark for me! I phoned the Registrar of BDM in WA today as I could not make out why the registration year was out of kilter so I explained that you wanted to order a certificate but worried that we had the wrong person as a) they were shown as male and b) the year was shown as 1987.

A very kind and helpful lady looked it up for me and verified that the name was Betty, the sex was probably just a mistranscription and the birth was originally in 1931 (yee ha - got that piece of info free!) and I confirmed the names of the parents! She said that there was an update in 1987 but she has no idea why. (Also another piece of free information - although the second letter was A her other given name was Joyce!!)

After that I checked the phone directory (current) - there was a B J in the directory but up north (past Geraldton) but I phoned anyway - no luck - they had never heard of a Betty. I know she could have married but the obit only stated a daughter so assume that even if she had married there were no children. Now you will need to find out if there were any marriages - we shall need some bright ideas from the members for that one! :Wink:
              There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Any chance of a name to go with all that, Marion? Betty Joyce Who?

Beverley

Comment

What would I do without you Marion :Big Grin::Big Grin: Thank you ever so much.

Now what I think I'd like to do is order the parents marriage cert and Betty's birth cert.

Will also need to check the marriages and deaths for Betty.

:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

Any chance of a name to go with all that, Marion? Betty Joyce Who?
                    I'll PM you Beverly as I haven't been able to confirm her death yet.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                      Now what I think I'd like to do is order the parents marriage cert and Betty's birth cert.

Will also need to check the marriages and deaths for Betty.

:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:
                      You've got the link for the birth and marriage cert - I checked to see if there was a death but haven't found one so far - will keep trying:smilee:

Comment

Think I've found it, Marion...have PM'd John

Beverley

Comment

Think I've found it, Marion...have PM'd John
                          Hi Bev - great - can you pm to me please -ta

Comment

I still feel that I should be a little cautious with regard to 'Betty Ann' and 'Betty Joyce'. It's rather strange having the different middle names.

Comment

Agreed John - it does seem a little strange - you will have to get the certificate to check obviously but it is worth remembering that Beverley is only about 50kms from Pingelly - which is where John was from 1948 - 1952.

Comment

Thanks Marion, I'm going double check all the references and add up what it's going to cost me - 2 marriage certs, 1 birth cert and maybe I'll put the death cert on hold for the moment.

Comment

Hi John,
                                  Well the birth would be of greater use at this stage I would think. We are pretty sure that the marriage details are correct - if you want to hold off on that one I can see if there is a copy in the Archives now we have the correct location - that won't be for a couple more weeks though. I would suggest the birth certificate may indicate as to whether the marriage for Betty would be needed - just a thought!

Comment

AUD$44 per certificate, isn't cheap! AUD$132 for 3 certificates (£73ish) . That's really expensive!! Aussies must have loads of money or big mortages to be able to afford this hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                                      Hi John,
                                      Well the birth would be of greater use at this stage I would think. We are pretty sure that the marriage details are correct - if you want to hold off on that one I can see if there is a copy in the Archives now we have the correct location - that won't be for a couple more weeks though. I would suggest the birth certificate may indicate as to whether the marriage for Betty would be needed - just a thought!
                                      Oh yes please, I'll hold, if there are any copies in the Archives that would be ever so helpful.

I would be interested in 2 marriage certificates if they are in the archives:

1) John and Lillian
                                      2) Betty and William

Comment

We need the money!!!!! We aren't as rich as the UK!!! Had a look and you are in luck -

Reduced fee certificate

Birth, death or marriage certificate at least 75 years old, when the registration number and registration district are provided - $31

I doubt if the second one would be there - the only reason the first one might be is because he was a Minister and married in the Methodist church. Try for the birth first (now you have a reduced rate!!)

Comment

Working...
                                        X