Australian Newspapers On-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Newspapers On-line

I don't know how many of you use the National Library of Australia Newspapers on-line - but I have just noticed that the Sydney Morning Herald is now included in the newspapers.

There should be a lot more information about those who lived in early Sydney available now !! Off to do some searching !!

Diane
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Hi Diane - I just received this e mail - this is great as I use the site all the time -

Dear Australian Newspaper users

I wanted to let everyone know the good news….

1. Sydney Morning Herald

The first digitised issues of the Sydney Morning Herald are now available. We have started from the first issue 1831 and are making our way forwards to 1954.

The first 20 years (18,000 pages) are now available as follows:

Sydney Herald 1831-1842
    Sydney Morning Herald 1842-1852

Issues from 1852 - 1954 will be made available each week from now on through til early 2010. In early 2010 The Sunday Herald 1949-1953 will also become available.

We would like to acknowledge the financial contribution of the Vincent Fairfax Family Foundation who have given $1 million dollars towards the digitisation of this title.

2. The Argus (Melbourne)

The Argus (and its previous title the Melbourne Argus) from 1846 - 1945 are now completed and available. The remaining 10 years (1945-1954) of the Argus will be made available in 2010 (mid to end of year).

Please circulate this message or its contents wherever appropriate.

To access the Australian Newspapers service:
    NLA Australian Newspapers

Comment

I think that means that eventually you will be able to find all those death notices from the Ryerson Index marked SMH - won't that be great.

I have already been able to find out more about Samuel Custins Brazill, pilot of Port Jackson thorugh the SMH.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
        I think that means that eventually you will be able to find all those death notices from the Ryerson Index marked SMH - won't that be great.

I have already been able to find out more about Samuel Custins Brazill, pilot of Port Jackson thorugh the SMH.

Di
        Hi Di - yes it will!

Comment

Working...
        X