Will guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will guidance

I've never had to look for a will, and don't know if there would be one available in this case, but have found a small mystery.

3 sisters, Mary, Elizabeth and Harriet Norgate, born in Kilmeston 1823, 1833 and 1840 respectively. None of them marry and spend most of their lives as servants. In 1891 the youngest, Harriet has become an attendant to Sarah A W Goold, in Portchester, a 67 year old widow living on her own means. Sarah dies in 1899, and in 1901 Harriet is living with her 2 sisters (having chopped 15 years off her age) still in Portchester, all of them living on own means. Bearing in mind that Daddy was just an Ag Lab with 10 children to provide for, I am wondering where the money came from - did the widow leave her some.

So how would I go about finding this out?

Linda:conf:
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

You could ask the York Probate Regustry to look for a will up to 5 years after Sarah's death for £5 and if she left one they will send a copy. You might try your local Probate Registry as mine in Leicester are very helpful.
    Maybe someone on here could look at the Probate index for you as a first try, it still costs £5 for the will.
    Margaret

Comment

Linda, have you got any death dates for them? Then we can see if any of them left wills.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You could order the will of Sarah Ann Wettman?? Goold

Northend?
        died 24 Feb 1899
        Executor W Stanton (I think)
        PR 1214 (I think) Will Folio 168

Perhaps this will tell you if she left money to Harriet.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I´d agree with the reference Elizabeth has given.
          North End is in Portsmouth, about 5 miles from Portchester.
          Elaine

Comment

Right, from what I can see, Mary died in Mar quarter 1915, aged 92 in Fareham, Elizabeth at 81, Jun quarter 1919, in Alresford and Harriett aged 84 also in Fareham, Jun quarter 1925, all in Hampshire. The lady Harriett looked after died in Portsea area, Mar quarter 1899.

Would there be copies of the probate index at winchester family history centre?
            Linda

Comment

Oh thank you for that - how would I go about ordering a will - is it using a form pa1s from the probate service?
              Linda

Comment

Unfortunately the on-line Index of Death Duty Registers only goes up to 1903 so I can't look up the Norgate sisters. :F

If someone is going to a record office they might be able to find possible wills for you.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I don't want to put you off getting a Will, but I think it is quite likely the employer bought an annuity for her "loyal servant" as this was the usual thing to do.

If she did, it won't be mentioned in the Will.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I'd not heard of that before. I don't know how much they would have needed to be able to live on own means in those days - they had all been live in servants, so maybe they had just saved for their old age, and they all lived to a ripe old age!

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

I had a huge number of unmarried great aunts (WW1 did for their chances of marriage).

They were all of "independent means" which consisted of several tiny annuities, some bought by previous employers, some bought by other family members for them (families were far more charitable to their own kin back then, I think). They also had meagre savings from a lifetime of hard work.

One of these Aunts left me £300 when she died. Recently, I found the Will of HER grandfather, who left her....£300.

I cried when I read that, it was almost as if she had never touched that money and it came straight to me from my 3 x GGF. She lived in dire, if genteel, poverty into a very old age.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X