Looking for a Welsh 61 & 71 census record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Welsh 61 & 71 census record

I have a marriage certificate for an Eliza Jones (19) and William Milsom (20) married in 1873 in Swansea.

William does not list his father so I fear I won't be able to progress that line.

Eliza lists her father as John Jones a Labourer.

Eliza is my mothers great grandmother and she tells me that her grandmother (Violet) use to visit the Munbles in Wales to visit relations.

My problem is a search of the census records for 61 & 71 has failed to confirm where Eliza was living.

The census records for 81 have her as born in Abergavenny, Wales.

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

In 91 she says she was born in Brymmawe, Wales

- Ancestry.co.uk

In 01 she says she was born in Bawnmar, Wales

- Ancestry.co.uk

In 1911 she says she was born in Brimmar, Wales.

Can anyone see a match in the Welsh 61 & 71 census records.

An extra complication for me is the 1901 census records have the mother in law staying Eliza Phillips age 77 - which is odd as Eliza (jnr) has a mothers maiden name of Jones - so not sure what is going on here.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by oliveriles; 08-11-09, 16:30.

Originally posted by oliveriles View Post
    Eliza is my mothers great grandmother and she tells me that her grandmother (Violet) use to visit the Munbles in Wales to visit relations.
    Who, what or where are the Munbles! :conf:
    Any idea which county Brymmawe/Bawnmar/Brimmar might be in? Ignore that - found the answer!
    Elaine

Comment

What about this one for 1871
      - Ancestry.co.uk

- although occupation of John is coal miner!
      Might be worth tracing him forwards to see if occupation changes at some point.

SORRY IGNORE THAT - LOOKING AT THE WRONG JONES FAMILY
      Elaine

Comment

Elaine - The Mumbles is a headland near Swansea which used to be served by an electric tramway, providing a link between genealogy, geography and industrial archaeology.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks UJ - never heard of it! :emb:
          Elaine

Comment

thank you for looking - John Jones in the 71 record is shown as a watchmaker rather than a Labourer as per Eliza marriage in 73 so I dont think its the right record.

Comment

Mumbles is near Swansea and where my parents spent their honeymoon.

Just looked at 1891 and, as I thought, the place is Brynmawe - pronounced Brinmower (the "ower" part as in power). You get used to the Welsh names if you were born in those parts.
              Last edited by Elderflower; 08-11-09, 17:32. Reason: Added more info

Comment

thanks do you know what parish Brynmawe is in?

Comment

Working...
                X