Finding someone after 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding someone after 1911

I'm looking for my Dad's brother Arthur Thomas Russell.

He was born 1894 Mile End London. I have him on the 1911 census at home with family age 17 working as a bottler in a brewery.

I was hoping to find him on the WW1 army service records but there is no sign of him. Haven't found a marriage or a death.

In 1911 they were living at 46 Shandy Street Stepney. Where would I find the electoral rolls for that area?
    If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful

June

They will be at the LMA you would need an address and its possible that they will have moved from last known address you have.

Are you sure of both Arthur and Thomas being his names?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-09, 14:52.

Comment

June

Not all WW1 records have survived, about 2/3rds were destroyed or damaged by fire.

Do you have any family stories about him - his occupation or whether he was unmarried?

Electoral rolls would be in the relevant county records office - I think the London Metropolitan Archives - as well as possibly a local history centre and the library service for the area.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Maggie- they lived in Shandy Street for about 20 years. When their mother died in 1923 that was the address on her death cert.

Arthur Thomas was his name. I have his birth cert.

Little Nell- I didn't know any of my Dad's family until I started researching them so I have no stories etc.

Does anyone know the local library for that area?

June

Comment

Well if you look up that address in 1923 if Arthur isn't there then I assume he has married and lives somewhere else, also as you know its possible he died in WWI.

Who registered his mother's death and what was his parent's names?

I have had a quick look on http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

Nothing jumps out at me but then some of the servicemen don't have next of kin listed or an address.

The LMA is your best bet for electoral rolls. No marriages that look likely but the Banns on Ancestry only go up to 1921 he could have married after that.

But someone might come along on the thread that has another idea.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-11-09, 15:36.

Comment

When you say (look up that address in 1923) do you mean on the electoral roll?
            His mothers death was registered by his father.

They were Alfred George Albert Russell and Annie Norah Russell.

I'm now wondering if he was in the navy as a younger brother of his joined up on his 18th birthday in 1916.
            Although I think I did look on TNA but I'll have another look.

Comment

Yeah that's what I meant but if you look on the Electoral Roll for 1923-24 he may be there but if he's not he could be anywhere so it won't tell you much.

Comment

Bit of a slog but you might have to trawl the death indexes for him to see when he died and get his death cert to see if that helps. Otherwise you'll have to wait until ancestry has finished digitising them!
                Have you tried the phone directories on ancestry?
                Margaret

Comment

There is a tree on Genesreunited with Arthur Russell b1894 Stepney might be worth getting intouch to see if he's yours. PM me if you don't have access and I'll make contact for you.
                  Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret

I did try the phone books and thought I had found him but it turned out not to be him.
                    The trouble with the death indexes, he could have died anywhere and his name is quite common.
                    I have contacted the person on Genes twice but she doesn't reply. It was quite a long time ago so I've just sent another message. You never know.
                    Anyway thanks for your suggestions. Every little thing helps.

June

Comment

Hi - Tower Hamlets Archives might have some info for the property and who was living there over the years...you can e mail them...might duplicate what's available for electoral roll info....but they're very helpful..
                      Local history & archives

Comment

Naomiatt

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try it.

June

Comment

I take it you have found them on the 1901 census? Also do you have any idea if he married and her name?
                          GWEN

Comment

Hi Gwen

yes I have got them on 1901 census.

No after the 1911 census I don't have any information about Arthur. I have sent for a couple of marriage certs but no luck. Haven't found his death either.
                            I don't think they were a family that had any contact in later life.
                            I recently found I had two cousins, the sons of my Dad's eldest brother Alfred. One died in WW2 and the other died in the 90's. However I did contact his wife and she had never heard of any family belonging to her husband and she was sure he didn't know either. She was a very nice lady but she guiltily informed me that she had destroyed the Russell photos the year before as there was no one to pass them on to. She is in her 80's.
                            Thats why I'd like to find Arthur in the hope he may have married and had children.

Thanks for your help

June

Comment

Working...
                            X