Help with Australia please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Australia please?

I renewed my Ancestry never thinking I would need Worldwide cover and sods law.... I could do with a little help.

Having cracked open my Irish side one of my new found relatives comes up as a great match in an Austalian tree... same name(Thomas Carroll) and parents, place and date of birth etc. I have mailed the tree owner but they have not been on line for over 6 months and I have had no reply after a month.

It seems from the Public Tree that Thomas Carroll B1861 in Bunmahon/Stradbally Co Waterford married Bridget Leavy B1865 in Fyora, Co Longford.... No details of marriage but poss in Australia.

They had at least 6 children. Mary b1896, Ellen b1897, Annie b1899, Thomas b 1902, William b1904, Patrick b1910.

No places of birth given but on the tree living relatives named Carroll are b in Queensland.

Could anyone check the Census in Australia or if possible passenger lists and see if any trace?

Many thanks in advance and any ideas on how to make contact with my Australian link would be appreciated.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

There is a Th Carroll, b c 1861, Waterford in an Australian shipping list.
    Let me look further and I will get beck to you.
    The date of the voyage was 1888/1889
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

you can search australian records online - their certificates give lots of information
      Search our historical records : Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Australia - Family Tree Forum
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        That looks very interesting:smilee: look forward to that
        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
          you can search australian records online - their certificates give lots of information
          Search our historical records : Department of Justice and Attorney-General

Australia - Family Tree Forum
          Jean... I just found the marriage of Thomas Carroll and Bridget Leavy in Queensland in 1896. Great link.... Many thanks! Looks like the public tree info is good. I HAVE to get this marriage cert!
          John

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
            I have been digging around on the site mention by Jean for records and the tree I mentioned gives the death of Thomas Carroll as 1922. A search of the graves in Queensland shows 2 others buried in the same grave, Mary (1890)and Elizabeth Carroll (1893)....... that ties in perfectly I have them both on my tree but this is all new stuff!!

Just wondering if Mary and Elizabeth are on the same 1888/9 Australian shipping list and any other Carroll's travelling together?

I am having a good day! :smilee: Many thanks in advance.
            John

Comment

Oh well done - I do love the australian certs they give you so much information.
              when I got my gt grandfathers death cert, I could find pictures of cemetry and grave number online
              the australian electoral rolls are on world ancestry if someone will look them up for you - they give extra snippets to build the picture.
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Sorry John - called away and then got involved.
                I will PM you with the details.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you all for your help on this. It seems Thomas Carroll (b1861) was part of the crew on this ship (could be my guy) so he and his sisters arrived prior to 1888. His bother William (my GG Gfather) arrived in Liverpool around 1877... I am guessing the family split up around then.
                  As you say Jean, the Aus info that is available online is really good.... so good I am giddy. Just hope a live one comes up!
                  Finding 3 of them in one grave is a double bonus! AND I have the grave number and an ariel picture. Cheers!
                  John

Comment

John...........

I'll have a look at the electoral rolls for you. Just let me get my early morning cuppa first...lol

Where were the graves??? I love digging around cemeteries.

Comment

Sorry John can I just hijack your thread for a minute please?
                      Libby is
                      Martyn Street Cemetery
                      2-40 Anderson Street
                      Manunda, 4870

near you? I'm assuming its near Cairns where my gt grandfather died rather than Brisbane where he lived?
                      Jean

Comment

There's a Thomas and Bridget in Clifton in 1903. Clifton is good for me as it's fairly close.

Haven't checked any others yet....back soon.

Comment

OK, Jean...........missed that. Cairns is a bit further.....about 2,000kms...lol

The fellow in Clifton in 1903 was a railway worker.

Comment

Cairns is a bit further.....about 2,000kms...lol
                            not an early morning jog then:Big Grin::Big Grin:
                            Jean

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              John...........

I'll have a look at the electoral rolls for you. Just let me get my early morning cuppa first...lol

Where were the graves??? I love digging around cemeteries.
                              Morning :smilee: Not sure if this link works but this is the grave

John

Comment

Hi John - There is mention of this family in the Beta Newspaper site e.g
                                "Probate has been granted in the matter of Elizabeth Carroll, Stanley Street, South Bris- spinster" from the Brisbane Courier, Dec, 1893. If you do advanced search, exact, but don't worry about selecting the papers and go straight to search at the bottom, info comes up - in this case, I restricted the dates from 1/1/1803-31/12/1893.
                                You might be able to build up a Carroll story from the newspapers.
                                Might be handy State Library of Queensland - Wills, probate

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                  Hi John - There is mention of this family in the Beta Newspaper site e.g
                                  "Probate has been granted in the matter of Elizabeth Carroll, Stanley Street, South Bris- spinster" from the Brisbane Courier, Dec, 1893. If you do advanced search, exact, but don't worry about selecting the papers and go straight to search at the bottom, info comes up - in this case, I restricted the dates from 1/1/1803-31/12/1893.
                                  You might be able to build up a Carroll story from the newspapers.
                                  Might be handy State Library of Queensland - Wills, probate
                                  Thank you for the links... I am working on it as we speak :smilee:
                                  John

Comment

Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
                                    Thank you for the links... I am working on it as we speak :smilee:
                                    Just realised - didn't give the link :smilee:
                                    NLA Australian Newspapers

Comment

Wonder if Thomas and Bridget are ancestors of the parish priest at my dad's church????

South Brisbane cemetery is easy to find...only about 250kms....lol....but I do go there.

Comment

Hi - they have a website Untitled Document
                                        Friends of South Brisbane Cemetery;
                                        Need information for your family history research? When it comes to the cemetery, our researchers are the most knowledgable people around, and the FOSBC holds the following records and research materials:

- full list of South Brisbane Cemetery interments
                                        - full list of South Brisbane Cemetery monumental inscriptions
                                        - extensive collection of local history publications about the local area
                                        ***** photographs of all South Brisbane Cemetery graves*****

Our records are often more reliable than the Brisbane City Council records.

FOSBC volunteers donate their time for research on behalf of genealogists and historians. Monetary donations to our group are welcome as we are a not-for-profit group, and any donations you make go back into helping us maintain the cemetery and conduct further research.

Send us an email with your name and contact details, and as many details as you can provide about the person you are looking for (name, date of death, etc). We will get back to you ASAP.
                                        Last edited by naomiatt; 09-11-09, 01:57.

Comment

Working...
                                        X