Solomon Smith WW1 Service record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Smith WW1 Service record

Hi just wondered if anyone can help trace a WW1 service record for my great grandfather.

His full name was Solomon Robert Smith and he was born on 28/11/1895 in Limehouse in Stepney in London. On his marriage certificate his occupation was listed as a Gunner RHA which I think stands for Royal Horse Artillery. He was married on 25/2/1918 in the holy trinity church in Stepney and his address was given as 14 Whitman Dr. His name on the marriage certificate had been changed to Robert Solomon Smith but on his death in 1944 is back again to Solomon Robert.

When I previously had access to Ancestry I had a good search but couldn't find anything but did manage to find the service record for my great uncle Donald McKinnon Anderson which was great but disappointed that I couldn't find Solomon's.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Steven

Hi - have you looked in here The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | World War One medal cards

Comment

Yes thanks Naomi tried that but unfortunately no luck. The only one I can see is the medal index card under regimental number 26079 in name of Robert Smith but don't know whether it is worth ordering as they don't give much information that I can verify if it was actually the correct one ie they don't give dates of birth, address etc. The one I managed to get for my great uncle was after I had first found his service record and then was able to match up the two to ensure the medal index card was correct.

Steven
      Last edited by stevie2006; 06-11-09, 21:43.

Comment

Hi Steven - hmmm.... any luck in this The British artillery of 1914-1918
        The Royal Horse Artillery of 1914-1918
        Ask Away
        Researching a soldier: How can I find my soldier's number?

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
          Hi just wondered if anyone can help trace a WW1 service record for my great grandfather.

His full name was Solomon Robert Smith and he was born on 28/11/1895 in Limehouse in Stepney in London. On his marriage certificate his occupation was listed as a Gunner RHA which I think stands for Royal Horse Artillery. He was married on 25/2/1918 in the holy trinity church in Stepney and his address was given as 14 Whitman Dr. His name on the marriage certificate had been changed to Robert Solomon Smith but on his death in 1944 is back again to Solomon Robert.

When I previously had access to Ancestry I had a good search but couldn't find anything but did manage to find the service record for my great uncle Donald McKinnon Anderson which was great but disappointed that I couldn't find Solomon's.

If anyone could help that would be great.

Steven
          if you go to the war service records search and look for solomon smith the first result you get is for robert solomon smith of limehouse

perth:smilee:

Comment

Try this link Steven.
            - Ancestry.co.uk

- recorded as Robert S. Smith - from the records his marriage date is shown as 23 Feb 1918 to Isabel Ward. Is this the right one?
            It says there are 39 images to scroll through - when you are viewing the image just click on prev/next to scroll through the pages.
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine that is him as I know he was married to Isabella Ward who was my great gran. What would be the best way to access the records, can you pay as you go or would I have to set up a new membership (my old one expired) and pay for a month then cancel?

I realise that I couldn't ask anyone to forward over 39 pages so I guess that may be the best option.

Thanks Perth I am from Stirling by the way so small world!! Thanks again Naomi

Steven

PS Looking at the pay per view option it says 12 record views for 14 days but would each page be 1 view? If so I would have to get 3 lots of £6.95 or if you go for monthly can you cancel after say 1 month?
              Last edited by stevie2006; 07-11-09, 12:21.

Comment

HI

Just seen your post and I'm sending you a personal message
                WendyP

Comment

Thanks Wendy.

Naomi found his WW1 medal index card he actually had 2 numbers 83170 & 225438. Not on my main computer only my netbook tonight. Tomorrow I will go onto my main computer and pay the £2 fee and download it from National Archives. Thank you very much for the link.

Steven

Comment

steven
                    if you are going to pay 2 quid just for the medal card wouldnt it be better to pay for a month and down load the service record aswell.
                    try emailing them and ask how to do just a months worth.

perth

Comment

Hi

Although Steven hasn't said he now has the service record in his possesion
                      WendyP

Comment

Wendy and Elaine thanks so much for all your help. The service record is amazing and has so much information I didn't know for example Solomon's height, hair colour, eye colour and even details of a wound he received whilst in France. I haven't had time to look at it all but it really is the final piece of the jigsaw.

I now have Solomon's birth, death and marriage certificates from GRO in my file and all the census records he is on and the full service record and the medal index card. What a result and thanks again to the members who have helped. I know I have mentioned it before but the help you provide is invaluable and

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Steven

Comment

That's great news!

Comment

Working...
                          X