FATHER= John Mother=?

married 28 August 1873 = MALTHOUSE Albert South Australia
    Died= 12 October 1924 South Australia buried Hindmarsh SA

I can't find her coming to SA?

and

MAYMAN Elizabeth Hannah (Lizzie) born=16 June 1866 Hindmarsh SA
    Father= John Mother= Ellen Clayton

married= 4 January 1888 = McInnes Phillip Hindmarsh SA
    Died= 6 April 1956 SA buried West Terrace Cemetary.

I am wondering if the girls are sisters or related in some way. Hope someone can help?

Cheran
    Cheran

The name isn't common - only 38 picked up by the FreeBMD transcriptions between 1837 (July - Sept) and 1915: in fact 1838 and 1905 in terms of actual hits for that range. (1838 x2, 1839, 1843 x2, 1848, 1852 x3, 1854, 1855, 1856, 1858, 1860, ...)

Very few of those results are outside Yorkshire / Lancashire (the north of the country).

None of the 1852 hits has a middle name. They are Q1 Ashton-under-Lyne, Q4 Bury (Greater Manchester), and Q4 Liverpool.

Using the local records office transcriptions (see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/), they have only two of the three transcribed so far:
    Dukinfield, Cheshire (registers at Tameside)
    Holcombe, Lancs (registers at Bury) - MMN = Duckworth

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-11-09, 21:13.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you been able to get the Australian death certs? They're usually pretty comprehensive in background info (when known by the informant, of course!).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi - not sure if you have this info?
        MALTHOUSE.-In loving memory of our dear father, Albert Malthouse, died December 1", 1912. We miss you most who loved you best.-Inserted by his loving wife and son and daughter, Edna and Roy.
        THE "FRIENDS of the late Mr. ALBERT MALT
        HOUSE are respectfullj informed that his Remains will be reinoied from his late residence Albermarle Street, West Hindmarsh, on WEDNES DAY AFTERNOON, at ,4 p.m., for interment in
        the Hindmarsh Cemetery.
        MALTHOUSE.-On the 17th December, at Alba.
        marlc-rtreet. West Hindmarsh.Albert, beloved husband of Bessie Malthouse. Loved and respected by all who knew him. Age 67.
        There was a John Mayman as per;
        MAYMAN.-In loving memory of David Thomas, third son of late John Mayman, Butley Can Yorkshire, who died July 0, 1907, aged 60 years.
        AUSTRALIAN WINS V.C.
        Service in East Africa,
        KALGOORLIE, Monday. - Mr George Mayman, ot Kalgoorlie, has received a letter from his brother, John Mayman**, stating that he had been serving with General Botha's forces in German East Africa, and had won the Victoria Cross. The writer makes no mention of the deed which gained
        him the distinction. John Mayman, who is 47 years of age, was weil known on the goldfields, where he was a shift boss on several mines some years ago. While working on the Hidden Secret mine he rescued an Italian, who, after attempting to hang himself with the knocker line, cut it, and fell into the water at the bottom of the shaft. About 1902 he saved the life of a miner at Berry No. I mine, in Victoria
        The miner was buried in running sand, and Mayman, at great personal risk, kept the man's head clear ot the sand until relief
        came.
        Advanced Search - NLA Newspapers
        There are Mayman's on this list...not sure if they're yours
        http://143.216.32.39/archivessrsa/***bmain.asp?MainURL=***bdui.asp&FunctionName=$SAS ABKWDSCH
        The official South Australian Government Archive. State Records holds permanent government records dating from 1836.

Do any of the family names you have match up to these?
        Last edited by naomiatt; 07-11-09, 06:01.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your help.

I hadn't seen the Obits in newspapers re Albert Malthouse - my GG Grandfather but had all the dates re his death but it is still good to read. Thanks so much for looking for me.
          I couldn't quite work out if they were from the NLA site?

I had a little trouble with the web links but will try again to see if I can see some of the records.

Today I have found an Elizabeth Mayman Baptism in June 1852 ay St Michael's Ashton Under Lyn with father John and mother Mary Ann - the closest I have got.

I think I need to confirm If Elizabeth (Bessie) came into SA as an assisted passenger or with her Father John. I will try archives records to again

Clearly, Lizzie was born in SAust to John & Ellen

They were all so close in terms of where they lived in SA - it will be interesting if I can link the two.

Cheran
          Cheran

Comment

Hi Cheran - try this for the Beta newspapers - yes, that's where I got the info;
            Advanced Search - NLA Newspapers
            ignore all the papers etc and just put the name/surname in exact phrase - they all come up..plus there are more for them. You might be able to pick up a picture of the different families. I couldn't see anything on the SA lists...so thought maybe they went somewhere else first.
            You can also try Papers Past, although NZ, it covered the region as well;
            Papers Past
            Might see something in this Hindmarch Cemetery, South Australia
            and South Australia Catalogue of Fiche, Film & CDs page 1
            Hindmarsh Cemetery records, 1846-30 June, 1987 [microform] / South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry... | National Library of Australia
            Adelaide Cemeteries Authority - West Terrace Cemetery
            South Australian Cemetery Directory
            There are 11 x Mayman's listed in SA White Pages
            whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

Comment

mayman info

Naomi

Thanks for your trouble - I will keep searching through and will be adding some of the websites to my favourites.

Cheran

:o
              Cheran

Comment

Working...
              X