Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Henry Go(u)rnell 1849/51

Hi

I am pretty ashamed of myself and my lack of knowledge in relation to British geography north of the Watford Gap

I am researching a friends family, at her request. At present I am looking at the Gournell family living in Hull.

I have a Thomas Henry Gournell b. 1849/51 in Oldham Lancs. There are in fact 2 Thomas Gournells (although both spelt Gornell b. in june qtr of 1849) born in Oldham.

But there is also a Thomas Henry Gornell b. Dec 1850 in Preston.

So far I haven't found Thomas Henry b. in Preston on census returns nor have I found an infant death.

What I am actually asking is could the latter, born in Preston be the one I am looking for?
    Is Preston district close to Oldham?

Please can anyone give me their views on this. Thank you
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I think the best thing to do is to give us some census information where you are sure you have found the right man. It's sometimes easier for an outsider to look at it afresh starting with what you kno or have already confirmed.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

1881: Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4769; Folio: 19; Page: 32;GSU roll: 1342152.

1891: Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3936; Folio 123; Page 20; GSU roll: 6099046.

1901: Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4502; Folio: 56; Page: 23.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Don't suppose you have the marriage certificate for Thomas and Mary?
        Elaine

Comment

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is a village near Hull which is called Preston.
          Edited to add - sorry, just realised your Preston is a registration district, rather than pob according to census.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi again

No sorry Elaine, I am trying to keep costs down but realise that this might be the only way I can move back. It's just that I have spent a fair bit already on certs for this tree.

Jay: Thank you for that, but the registration district is Preston Lancs
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Have you found the birth registrations for the children shown in the 1881 census? I can't see them under Gornell or Gournell.
              Elaine

Comment

Just checked... no. I am printing off WW1 details at the mo (another member of the tree) and popping in and out on this. SO my next job, although I believe they were in Hull by then as his 1871 marriaage was there as was his 1912 marriage despite 1911 census details stating he was married to the 1912 wife.

Thank you for the reminder, I like the name Sukana but think it may be Suzana
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

What is the 1871 marriage you have found?
                  Elaine

Comment

1871 marriage

Thomas Henry Gurnell and Mary Jane Johnson Hull 9d 385 Jun 1871

I have found a birth for a

Thomas Henry Gurnhill in Hull 1874
                    and Suzannah Gurnhill in Hull 1877

I think this may be the family, I think ages fit with the census, but I cannot find Eliza.

I have found this family with all sorts of varients of spelling. Back to check Thomas Henry senior now
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

It doesn't help with the constant change of spelling.
                      I think you might need to get the marriage certificate to help you go back with any certainty.
                      Elaine

Comment

Yes I am sure you are right.

I think the two Thomas' born in Oldham are actually the same as the image is unclear and I would hazarda guess re his father... but I cannot be sure, so like you say I will have to send for his marriage cert.

Thanks for your help
                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Hi there bubblebelle.

I've had my head buried in GROS all last week and am just catching up with a week's worths of threads. I have Hull Gurnells in my tree through Thomas's sister Elizabeth marrying into the family of my cousin's husband.

Convoluted I know LOL and I wouldn't usually have anything that far out from my own line but said cousin is a newbie and I did a lot of work for her. I can only give you as far back as Thomas' parents and also the names of his 10 known siblings. If that is any use to you please let me know.

Comment

Hi Galloway Lass

I have pm'd you but unsure whether it 'sent'

Thank you for your reply. I would much appreciate any info you have re this family, especially Thomas' parentage, my friend descends from Thomas' son Thomas.

Regards Mandy
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                            X