No announcement yet.

Finding my Grandfather, George William Reginald Williams - Japanese POW in WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding my Grandfather, George William Reginald Williams - Japanese POW in WW2

Hi. I'm new to family history and would appreciate some help and advice. A few years ago, discovered that the Grandfather I knew was actually my Mother's step-Father. My Nan, Iris Bryan, had my Mother out of wedlock in 1937 in Wiltshire, and although her father, George William Reginald Williams wanted to marry her, my Nan's father did not give permission. He stood by his daughter though and was devoted to my Mother, his granddaughter. All I know is that George Williams was a Captain in the Army during WW2 and worked on the Burma-Thai Railway as a Japanese POW. He survived but was an unwell man after the War. We think he lived at Fishponds at Bristol and his Mother's name was Pamela. My Mother is getting older now and would love to know what happened to him. No one is alive now to ask that was an adult at the time and she was too young at the time and never met him. We do not have any photo and he was not on my Mother's birth certificate so it makes research difficult. Thanks for your help.

Hi,
    A quick search on FreeBMD for a George W R Williams has thrown up o0nly one entry
    Williams George W R Mar 1914 Plymouth vol 5b p 394 mmn Bleeze
    The certificate will give you the names of his parents
    Emeltee

Comment

i looked on ancestry prisoners of war site but it seems to be only those in camps in German controlled areas.
      the death index has William George R Williams twice
      1 born 6 april 1912 died nov 1987 cardiganshire south
      2 born 21 sept 1914 died sept 2003 Lichfield
      may be he swapped his names around?
      cant find anythingelse - sorry
      Angelina

Comment

If you do come across a POW card in Japanese, put it up and I'll see what I can do for you.

Comment

Hi - not sure if this would be of interest - I have photo's from Kanchanaburi which we visited a few years ago including the River Kwai, railway etc. There is also the JEATH Museum but I don't know if they have an e mail address. It has lots of artefacts relating to the prisoners.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies and the help.

A few possible ideas here that I can follow up. May even take a punt on the birth certificate suggested although I need to watch the pennies at the moment like everyone else!

Cheers. :smilee:

Comment

Originally posted by emeltee View Post
              Hi,
              A quick search on FreeBMD for a George W R Williams has thrown up o0nly one entry
              Williams George W R Mar 1914 Plymouth vol 5b p 394 mmn Bleeze
              The certificate will give you the names of his parents
              Emeltee
              There's only one Williams / Bleeze marriage on FreeBMD so I'd be 99% sure they are the parents, but that doesn't fit with Pamela being the mother....

Marriages Jun 1913
              Bleeze Emily M Williams Plymouth
              Williams George W Bleeze Plymouth
              Last edited by guybrush; 06-11-09, 16:32.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                i looked on ancestry prisoners of war site but it seems to be only those in camps in German controlled areas.
                the death index has William George R Williams twice
                1 born 6 april 1912 died nov 1987 cardiganshire south
                2 born 21 sept 1914 died sept 2003 Lichfield
                may be he swapped his names around?
                cant find anythingelse - sorry
                Looks like the mother of the Lichfield one may have been Louisa A Hall
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Could try contacting the Far East Prisoners of War organisation

Fepow Community

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi
                    As a daughter of a Japanese POW I've had much success at Kew. I'm happy to have a look for you next time I go but I can't promise when, as my open university days are now on a Saturday so that cuts my time down.

There should be an index card for each man and on it should be his name DOB address fathers name fathers occupation and also other info written in Japanese, usually the camps he was held in. This is in WO 345

After the war ended the government tried to get each POW to fill in a form which also contains personal info and camps held at. Unfortunately not everyone filled one in but if you find one it is really helpful they are held in
                    WO 344
                    From the information contained in these you will often find other documents in Kew about the camps, diaries held or war crime trials.

Teh people who use this site Fepow Community are very helpful too and they have a yahoo email group.

I hope this helps but please let me know if I can help some more

Comment

A George W R Williams married a Hilda L M Fry in Bridgwater, Somerset in Jan-Feb-Mar quarter of 1957

Volume Number: 7c
                      Page Number: 269

Dont know if this is your man or not though.
                      Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
                      X