Canadian Shipping records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Shipping records

Please can someone see if they can find Herbert Grey b 1887 in East Halton Lincs on the Canadian Shipping records. I know he went to Canada possibly just after ww1 but it could have been much later.

Also he had a son Claude who was in the Canadian forces in WW2 and came over to England either with them or on his own. Can you please see if you can find him on the shipping lists. I believe Claude was born in Canada.

Thank you for your help

Jane
    Last edited by Jane Richards; 05-11-09, 14:52.

There are two Herbert Greys born around that time in Lincolnshire on Ancestry. Your one is I presume the birth in Glanford Brigg q2 1887, 7a 714. He is also in the 1891 census at East Halton with his parents and 2 brothers. No sign of him in 1901.

There is a Herbert Grey aged 24 born England who sails from Bristol to Montreal on the Royal George in April 1911. He is noted as "British Bonus Allowed" and is en route for Winnipeg as a farm labourer.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

And in July 1946 there's a Claude M Grey aged 32 travelling from Halifax Nova Scotia to Liverpool on the Georgic. His destination is London SW1 and he's a painter.

Comment

Thank you so much Uncle John

Yes mine is the Herbert born 1887 so you have found the right person. he was living with his parents on te 1891 census and I have him at home with his parents on the 1901. I also have a possible match on the 1911 but can't afford to send for the census record just yet. However the one that you found sailing to Montreal in 1911 is looking very likely. This would make the one on 1911 census wrong. Just as well I didnt buy it then.

Claude M Grey could well be mine aswell. According to your dates His birth would be c1914 which would probably be about right. considering Herbert had to find and marry someone between 1911 and 1914.

So thank you very much for all your help.

All the best

jane

Comment

Did Herbert stay in Canada? There's a death in 1975 in Campbell River BC (which is on the east coast of Vancouver Island) of a Herbert Grey aged 88. One of our BC residents might be able to look it up for you.

Comment

Bingo - I think I've got the family in the 1916 census of Sakatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta.

They are at Battle River, Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Herbert Grey Head 29 b. England, immigration 1906, can't read his occupation.
            Dorothy Grey Wife 19 b. England, no immigration date
            Claud M Grey Son 2 b. Alta (i.e. Alberta)

EDIT:
            That's odd - there are 2 images, which are slightly different.
            The second image gives the domicile as Veleran Alberta, gives an immigration date of 1906 for both parents and gives his occupation as liveryman (which must be something to do with horses).
            Last edited by Uncle John; 05-11-09, 16:22.

Comment

Thank you so much Uncle John for all your help. I would never have been able to do it without you. I have no idea whether Herbert stayed in Canada or not. the last sighting Ihad of him was in 1901 census. Then I thought i had found him on the 1911 but it looks as if I got that wrong. So it is possible he stayed there.

Thanks again for all your help

Jane

Comment

All I started with was a general search on Ancestry for Herbert grey with a birth year of 1887 born Lincolnshire, and then went on to more specific searches. It was very fortunate that the particular Canadian census was in 1916. I have no idea why the date of immigration doesn't tie up with the sailing date, and his wife was a child bride. I wonder where they married.

Comment

I can check the Campbell River death for you if you think it might be relevant. Presuming the person reporting the death had the details, the certificate gives information such as how long the person had been in BC and Canada, DOB, wife's and parents names.
                  Jenny

Comment

Thank you very much Uncle John and Jenny for all your help. Uncle John you have helped me come such a long way with this line of research.

Jenny

Please can you see if you can find Herbert Greys death for me. It will be quite interesting what that will turn up.

Thank you very much for helping me

Jane

Comment

HI

could you clarify for me who were your Herberts parents please - if you dont mind.
                      WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy.

Herbert parents were Stephen Grey b c1864 in Roxby Lincolnshire and Mary Grey nee Parker b c1862b East Halton Lincs.

I hope this helps

All the best

Jane

Comment

HI Jane

Thanks for that..

So 1891 he's is with Mum and Dad
                          1901 he's just with Dad, siblings and Granny Elizabeth Parker aged 65 bn East Halton
                          then according to the find he went over to Canada in abt 1906...

Ok I'll have a look around now to see what's out there.
                          WendyP

Comment

Hi Wendy

Thank you very much for your help. Uncle JOhn found an shipping entry suggesting he could well have gone to Canada in April 1911.

Yes that is my family on the 1891 census.

Thanks again

Jane

Comment

Working...
                            X