1871 CENSUS - William Stripp c1810 Horne, Surrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1871 CENSUS - William Stripp c1810 Horne, Surrey

I have been searching for my 2x gr grandfather William Stripp c1810 Horne, Surrey on the 1871 census on Ancestry and Findmypast, but no luck. I wonder if anyone else has access to other sites that they could do a search for me?

William Stripp was born 1810/1811 in Horne, Surrey and his occupation was "veterinary labourer" or "husbandman".

I have been successful in tracing him on 1841/51/61 census records. He died in 1873.

Many thanks for any help.
    Rebecca

P.S. I'm knew to this site, so hope I can work out how to get back here to see any eventual replies!

Hello Rebecca,

welcome to the forum

was William Married at all please?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your help and warm welcome!

William is a bit of a mystery when it comes to marriage. I've only ever traced one marriage and a few other relationships with children. Here's what I have:

Spouse & Children:

Mother unknown
      Elizabeth Lydia Stripp 1871 – 1931

Mother: Sarah Cantwell
      Charles Andrew Stripp 1870 –

Mother: Elizabeth Heath 1844 –
      Ellen Dora Stripp 1862 – 1921
      William Leonard Stripp 1865 –

Mother: Sarah Shepherd
      Harry Stripp 1871 – 1951 (my gr grandfather)

Mother: Mary Shirley 1832 – 1859
      Sarah Ann Stripp 1858 –

William is definitely the father of all the above children (according to their birth certs). He's very recognisable due to the occupation of Veterinary Labourer given.

Census Info:

1841 - Hookstile, Godstone, Surrey (living with father James)
      1851 - Sutton Village, Sutton, Surrey (occupation: Carter)
      1861 - High Street, Sutton, Surrey (occupation: Labourer)

Further Info:

16 Jan 1873 - Death - West Street, Sutton, Surrey (occupation: Veterinary's labourer)
      Occupation: Veterinary's Labourer is also shown on birth cert son Harry/Henry Stripp in 1871. Marriage cert to Mary Shirley shows occupation as Husbandman.
      Only marriage cert ever found was to Mary Shirley on 4 Sep 1855. Mary died on 23 May 1859.

I'm hoping that the 1871 census record (if I ever find it) might tell me more about Sarah Shepherd, my gr grandfather Harry's mother.

Rebecca
      Last edited by ZUBEZAP; 05-11-09, 15:25.

Comment

Mother: Sarah Shepherd
        Harry Stripp 1871 – 1951 (my gr grandfather)
        When was Harry born - are we likely to find him on the 1871 census?
        What is the address on Harry's birth certificate?
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your help.

Harry was born on 25 Nov 1871 in West Street, Sutton, Surrey, England. So, no he's not on the 1871 census. There is no house number given in West Street.

In 1881 census, Harry can be found at the Epsom Union Workhouse. I've had contact with the record keepers of this workhouse and there is no mention of his entry or departure or any mention of his circumstances.
          In 1891 census, Harry is with his sister Elizabeth Lydia Ewers (nee Stripp) at 159 Ingrave Road, Battersea. It looks like he and his brother-in-law both worked at the local Sugar Works.

Harry's sister Elizabeth Lydia Stripp was living with her aunt Eleanor in 1881 census. Eleanor Stripp was William's sister. I've never managed to trace a birth reg for Elizabeth, but she must be more or less the same age as Harry. I've wondered if they were twins. Harry must have been very close to his sister Elizabeth as he named his first born William Henry Edgar Stripp. I'm supposing, William after his father, Henry after himself and Edgar was his brother-in-law's middle name (Charles Edgar Ewers = Elizabeth's husband).

Regards,
          Rebecca
          Last edited by ZUBEZAP; 05-11-09, 15:48.

Comment

Mother: Sarah Cantwell
            Charles Andrew Stripp 1870 –
            Is there an address on the BC of Charles?
            Elaine

Comment

I've had no luck here I'm afraid. I think I've found Ellen in 1871 but you might already have that.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Class: RG10; Piece: 1059; Folio: 41; Page: 41; GSU roll: 827488.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Is there an address on the BC of Charles?
                Yes, it's 27 Aug 1870 - in West Street, Sutton, Surrey, England.

I've not found Charles in any census material 1871 or later. I have also not found a death or marriage that I could definitely match. He just disappears.... I've often wondered if his mother Sarah Cantwell could also be the same as Harry's mother given as Sarah Shepherd.....

Regards,
                Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by ZUBEZAP View Post
                  I've often wondered if his mother Sarah Cantwell could also be the same as Harry's mother given as Sarah Shepherd.....
                  I was thinking along the same lines! Have you found her in any census?
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                    I've had no luck here I'm afraid. I think I've found Ellen in 1871 but you might already have that.

- Ancestry.co.uk

Class: RG10; Piece: 1059; Folio: 41; Page: 41; GSU roll: 827488.
                    Thanks Guybrush. Yes that's Ellen in 1871. I also have her in 1841 thru 1881. She died in 1889. She married 3x. Edward Gibb, then brother Charles Gibb after Edward died, then James Page after Charles died...... Harry's not with her in any of the census material. If you or anyone needs the source citations for these census records, just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      I was thinking along the same lines! Have you found her in any census?
                      No, I've not traced either Sarah on any census info and have no idea of their birth years/ages.

Also infuriating is the 1861 census for William:
                      Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 418; Folio: 113; Page: 5; GSU roll: 542634.
                      You'll see his wife is ..... Stripps!!! Great, no christian name!!! It can't be Mary Shirley as she died in 1859, so I wonder who it was????? The 2 Mary Ann's were nieces and all their family is accounted for and gives me no other leads. The Sarah Ann is his daughter via Mary Shirley.

Comment

Yes, I'd seen that 1861 entry! As you say, not a lot of help.
                        I'm sorry, struggling to find anything here.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. This is really a tough one. I was hoping that someone might have a subscription to TheGenealogist as I've heard their census search possibilities are even better than Ancestry and Findmypast. I was going to purchase pay-as-you-go but can only find a GBP 19,95 for this option for Surrey Census material and found that a bit heavy for just the one search.....

Comment

Just so I can get my head around this:

1841 census william with James/Sarah

- Ancestry.co.uk

Who are Charles and Ann Sheperd that are living with them??

1851 living with relatives

1861 with wife and children

the only 1871 I can see is this one..

Last edited by Darksecretz; 06-11-09, 12:29.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              Just so I can get my head around this:

1841 census william with James/Sarah

- Ancestry.co.uk

Who are Charles and Ann Sheperd that are living with them??

1851 living with relatives

- Ancestry.co.uk

1861 with wife and children

- Ancestry.co.uk

the only 1871 I can see is this one..

- Ancestry.co.uk
                              Hi Julie,

Sorry I've been AWOL since the 5th. Finally got back to the computer!

1841 correct. He was living with his parents James Stripp + Sarah Daniels. I do not know who the Charles + Ann Sheperd are. I wondered if they might have been related to Sarah Shepherd, the mother of my 2x gr grandfather Harry/Henry Stripp, but have not been able to find them again on census material. From the 1841 census record, I think it's an "N" in born in the county column, so they could have been hired workers on a local farm who lodged with them???

1851 correct. William was living with his brother James and his sister-in-law Mary Ann Mitchell.

1861 correct. William with his daughter Sarah Ann Stripp (child of Mary Shirley his wife by marriage who died in 1859) and 2 of his nieces and his "new" wife who's christian name is unfortunately not given....

1871 - rather strange that this William's birth place is given as London. I tried to find this William in earlier census records, but he's not there. Neither is his wife Jane born in Ashburton, Devon. Strange. And can't think what my William would have been doing in Devonshire. The occupation given here of "pensioner" is wierd. I'm thinking this would mean he was not working and living on his own means. I wonder where he would have found fortune at last?? My William's death cert states his address as West Street, Sutton, Surrey. His age is given as 57 and his occupation "veterinary's labourer". His daughter Elizabeth Lydia Ewers (nee Stripp) was present at his death. Cause: Morbus Cordis 5yrs + Chronic Bronchitis 1yr. I believe my William must have been in or around Sutton in 1871. What do you think?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
                              Rebecca
                              Last edited by ZUBEZAP; 07-11-09, 10:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X