help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

hello everyone could any of you help me find out about my family! my sir name is durn my name is christopher my mothers name was maureen and my father was called trevor my grandad was called keith and i think my nans name was marg many thanks chris..

hello Chris and welcome to family tree forum...

do you have access to your parents marriage certificate at all? this will help confirm their parentage, you then need to work backwards, with certifcates until we can get to the census..

If at all possible talk to family/relatives/aunts/uncles.. annd make lots of notes..

if you click on this link

Creating Your Family Tree - Family Tree Forum

it will give you an idea of the kind of things to look out for/ask people about.

if you need any help shout up :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Chris.

The information you have given in your first post (given the rare surname) is enough for anyone with an Ancestry subscription to make an educated guess about you and your parents - your DoB and approx PoB, and similar info for your parents' marriage.

As you go forward in your quest, be aware that many of these boards (including this one) get picked up by Google, so we're all careful not to put detailed info about anyone who's still living, so as not to breach their privacy. We have to remember that, although this forum has a great friendly atmosphere, there are some folks around who are less honest and helpful.

We usually get around that by using PMs (personal messages, in case you haven't come across that abbreviation). You can find a way to do so through the links in the name box.

best wishes
      Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Welcome to FTF, Chris.

The information you have given in your first post (given the rare surname) is enough for anyone with an Ancestry subscription to make an educated guess about you and your parents - your DoB and approx PoB, and similar info for your parents' marriage.

As you go forward in your quest, be aware that many of these boards (including this one) get picked up by Google, so we're all careful not to put detailed info about anyone who's still living, so as not to breach their privacy. We have to remember that, although this forum has a great friendly atmosphere, there are some folks around who are less honest and helpful.

We usually get around that by using PMs (personal messages, in case you haven't come across that abbreviation). You can find a way to do so through the links in the name box.

best wishes
        Christine
        thanks to you both for your replys, after thinking about it im not going to bother to persue it anymore! my family on both sides wernt very nice apart from my mum. il never get chance to see any birth sert.. but thanks any way for your replys. chris

Comment

i'm sorry that you have decided this, but we, of course have to respect your wishes.

Family History isnt a cheap hobby, what with subscriptions to various sites and the purchases of Birth Marriage or Death certificates it soon mounts up.

we (or anyone) cannot be responsible for the way people 'turn out' there might be a very valid reason for this, the old saying is very true,

" you can choose your friends, but not your family"

I am sure that there are alot of folks on here that have some 'unsavoury' characters in their family, but it does give an overall view of that branch of the family.

I wish you well
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by chris durn View Post
            thanks to you both for your replys, after thinking about it im not going to bother to persue it anymore! my family on both sides wernt very nice apart from my mum. il never get chance to see any birth sert.. but thanks any way for your replys. chris
            I echo Darksecretz words.

I've tracked down the history of my father's father - who doesn't seem to have been particularly nice, either: leaving his wife and two young children - theoretically to go to WW1, but apparently to skip off to Canada, and (after a few years) to the USA. On the way, (if my research and deductions are correct) he was inclined to shed six (or even 16) years, and conveniently forget the marriage he'd left behind in UK. I've sometimes been quite offended by his behaviour, but, in the end, I decided it's just interesting to see what he did.

What you would need to be aware of is that this hobby is seriously addictive (just one more image/search/document...!) and, potentially, quite expensive, with subscriptions or credits to get access to images of original documents (certificates, censuses, etc), or membership of local family history societies. Addictive - but really enjoyable, if you enjoy puzzles.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X