Japanese Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Trees

Ive been digging around online but im having a real hard time finding a start for Japanese names. Even as close as my great grandfather Yasuki Chiba. All I can find out is that he was born in Chichiharu, China in 1910, died in 1985 and was a succsesful movie director.

If your great grandfather was born in China would that not be the best place to start for birth or any other documentation. Do you know if he lived, married or even died in Japan? Do you know if there is a city office in Chichiharu that may be able to help?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-09, 04:55.

Comment

I've found a list of films that Yasuki Chiba directed and looking at it he would appear to have been in Japan at least part of his life.

I will ask around and see if I can come up with anything. No guarantees though so please don't raise your hopes.

Comment

Well he immigrated to the states (year unknown) with his wife Fumiko (maiden name) unknown, and died in california. As to how long he was in China or if he even lived in japan I dont know. To be frank I found out about an hour ago that he was born there and it was a big shock to say the lest. Right now im trying to figure out what province Chichiharu is in so I can narrow it down for a census search.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
          I've found a list of films that Yasuki Chiba directed and looking at it he would appear to have been in Japan at least part of his life.

I will ask around and see if I can come up with anything. No guarantees though so please don't raise your hopes.
          Yeah more and more surprised about what i have been finding out about him, I have been told he was a Director but i had no idea how films.

Comment

He directed Mito komon .... WOW !! A Mito komon series has been running for many many years and is extremely popular (not sure if he ever had anything to do with the series though).

PS. Should say, I'm not likely to be able to come back to you straight away.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-11-09, 13:01.

Comment

Im not at all familiar with Mito Komon But then again its never to late. Oh and it seem that he may have been born in ChangChun, China, nor Chichiharu.

Comment

Hi - have you looked at this site Genealogy resources ºô¤W¸ê·½ and
                ccfao.com.cn
                might also be worth contacting someone at a university to see if they can give you some ideas and there is also a Changchun film corporation - they might be interested in your ggf's background, or know something about him.

Comment

Hey it never occured to me to check that. Ive got to wait untill tommorow to check out the ccfao my work compu wont let me access the sight.

Comment

Still looking but not found much yet. Even google searches in Japanese only appear to produce information regarding the films he directed. Nothing much on his personal life.

It looks like Yasuki's 1943 film - Aozora kokyogaku may have shown the first kiss seen on the Japanese screen.

Nothing on Fumiko or any marriage yet either.

If you do come across any further information then please put it up, it may help.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-09, 23:23.

Comment

Well Fumiko was his wifes name (and my sisters namesake) i new her as obasan (aunt not grandma) although she did die when i was very young. Now what I have Left is to sort out the truth from what my completly insane grandmother told us. Its possible that I may have some reletives in Washington state, im still working that angle. In all honesty the root of what im trying to verify is that according to my grandmother (Shigeko) i am a decesendent of one Asano Naganori Takumi no Kami. In my mind the only reason i have ANY merit in this is i have a traditional silk haori that belonged to Yasuki with the crest that is my avatar. The same crest on the tomb of THE 47 Ronin. The same crest depicted on the robes of Lord Asano in Chushingura. Futhermore this Taka no ha is not the crest of the Chiba clan but of the Kubo clan. Apparently the Chiba crest is a cresent moon and star. So im sure you can imagine my confusion.
                      Last edited by The48thRonin; 09-11-09, 01:32.

Comment

Originally posted by The48thRonin View Post
                        Well Fumiko was his wifes name (and my sisters namesake) i new her as obasan (aunt not grandma) although she did die when i was very young. Now what I have Left is to sort out the truth from what my completly insane grandmother told us. Its possible that I may have some reletives in Washington state, im still working that angle. In all honesty the root of what im trying to verify is that according to my grandmother (Shigeko) i am a decesendent of one Asano Naganori Takumi no Kami. In my mind the only reason i have ANY merit in this is i have a traditional silk haori that belonged to Yasuki with the crest that is my avatar. The same crest on the tomb of THE 47 Ronin. The same crest depicted on the robes of Lord Asano in Chushingura. Futhermore this Taka no ha is not the crest of the Chiba clan but of the Kubo clan. Apparently the Chiba crest is a cresent moon and star. So im sure you can imagine my confusion.
                        It sounds as though you could have some really interesting history in your family. I found this picture (link below), the crest for Asano Naganori looks pretty similar to yours. I'll keep trying, will let you know if I come up with anything.

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Asano_Naganori

I guess you may have seen these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asano_Naganori

I've done a little more reading and can see the reason for your 48th ronin name. :Big Grin:
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-11-09, 01:55.

Comment

Well yeah if any of this is true than i do have a really interesting family history, but it all seems to be a little outlandish. I mean that with the way the Japanese would adopt back then I could Actually be a Kubo, Naganori or Chiba. Then again i cant be a Naganori because Asano had no heirs, so that leaves his retainers heirs. However i cant find a list of the retainers. If I found a list and on that list was a Kubo, that would explain the crest. Next did the Kubo clan ever hold the Chiba fief and if so did they take the name Chiba after the fief. IF all this was true than my grandmothers story would have some credibilty.

Frankly I was hesitant to bring this up, it just seems very presumptous to think that I come from the stuff of legends.

Comment

It sounds as though you could have some really interesting history in your family. I found this picture (link below), the crest for Asano Naganori looks pretty similar to yours. I'll keep trying, will let you know if I come up with anything.

http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Asano_Naganori

I guess you may have seen these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asano_Naganori

I've done a little more reading and can see the reason for your 48th ronin name. :Big Grin:
                            Take a closer look at the picture of lord Asano's tomb youll see the crest at least twice.

Comment

Hi - I wonder if F***k Br*n can help?
                              Bright Lights Film Journal | Screening Hong Kong: The 33rd Hong Kong International Film Festival
                              Frank Bren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by The48thRonin View Post
                                Take a closer look at the picture of lord Asano's tomb youll see the crest at least twice.
                                I see it! When I next get the chance I can try and visit Sengaku-ji if you like. It appears to be not far from Shinagawa station, will have to check a map. Although saying that, we have no definite connection yet.

Comment

Well in all honesty I dont see how going there will help my cause. However if you do go please go for your own experience.

Comment

No, it won't help your cause at all. However if you are a descendant of Asano Naganori there maybe bits and pieces relating to him and the people associated with him that might be of interest.

We need to find out more about Yasuki's birth and his parents and what Fumiko's maiden name was and where she and Yasuki married but there's not much to go on at the moment.

Comment

No, it won't help your cause at all. However if you are a descendant of Asano Naganori there maybe bits and pieces relating to him and the people associated with him that might be of interest.

We need to find out more about Yasuki's birth and his parents and what Fumiko's maiden name was and where she and Yasuki married but there's not much to go on at the moment.
                                      I think that there is two things that I need to do now. One is to find some connection between Chiba and Naganori. The other is to find out about Yasuki and Fumiko. So now the question of the hour is how.
                                      Last edited by The48thRonin; 11-11-09, 05:26.

Comment

Hi - I also think an e mail to FB mentioned above might help..he must have good knowledge of the film industry and might have some insight for you. You never know I suppose....if not some sort of family background information, it might give a lead to something else.

Comment

Working...
                                        X