Are these places in Somerset??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these places in Somerset??

North Curry and Fivehead - and are they anywhere near Mark, & Puriton in Somerset please?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

I've just had a google and North Curry and Fivehead seem to be near Taunton and Mark, & Puriton seem to be near Bridgewater, so not very far away.
    p.s. Viv in Taunton would probably be able to tell you exactly. Shall I point her over to your thread.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've just checked and both my Somerset 'Mates' are off line at the moment.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie. I had actually visited Mark & Bridgewater, in 1999, but only came across the names North Curry & Fivehead today. I don't think these people are from our family even tho they are close to the above towns. (I'm from Oz)

Comment

If the names are fairly unusual it might be worth holding on to them though in case. They are quite close.

Comment

Its ok thanks Chrissie - about contacting Vivienne, she is already researching my Puddy's from the area. The Westlakes are also involved, but I thought around Puriton area. My daughter showed me an 1851 census of Fivehead and North Curry - I had never heard of them before. I'll keep the information tho.

Comment

When that sort of question crops up, I'm inclined to head for these links:
              Google Maps
              Worldwide map search, route finder and travel directions - powered by Multimap
              Ordnance Survey - maps and geographical data of Great Britain

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know someone who has been working on the parish registers for Fivehead and Swell (nearby) if this is still a live issue. I could probably forward the spreadsheets....

Comment

Hi Jood, both places are very close & if you want any pics of churchyards or anything just shout.
                  Record Office is closed at the moment, re-opening in brand new, purpose built premises at the end of the month.
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Viv I think I have been barking up the wrong tree with this family. Give me a day or so to sort it out?

Comment

It seems that the 1851 census showing Jane Westlake 7, of Fivedock is not ours.

Jane was born 19 Jan 1834 at Puriton Somerset to Sophia Westlake and Henry Brimble (tho the parents did not marry). Sophia married Henry Puddy in Bridgwater on 28 May 1841, had another daughter Maria born 4 March 1845m Mark, Somerset, then Sophia died 16 April 1848.

After Sophia's death in Mark, Somerset, Henry & little Maria came out to South Aust. in the "Mary Ann" arriving April 3 1849.

I found a Jane Westlake in 1841 census aged 7, with her mother and grandparents, Richard & Elizabeth, and then in 1851 census, a servant, aged 19 born Puriton, so although the age is wrong, at least she was born in Puriton (she was actually 17). I have evidence that she married James Sealey on 6 May 1854 – she was known as Jane Brimble Westlake.

Jane would have been 15 when her stepfather came to Australia. At first I thought she may have come to Australia, but can find no evidence of her arrival or return.

Could you find any more information about her father Henry Brimble (please)?

All my Puddy information was taken from papers by someone else about 30 years ago, and is completely wrong.
                      I have Richard Puddy died 27 Aug 1741,
                      His son John Puddy born 12 Feb 1701/02 and died 24 July 1743, married Amy ? Amy died 13 Feb 1754.
                      James Puddy b 8 Sep 1732 died 14 Feb 1793 married Jane White 17 Nov 1762 S/set (Jane died 12 Nov 1769
                      His son John Puddy b 12 July 1767 died 18 Nov 1826 married to Mary Purnell b 3 June 1763, died 11 May 1808 – married 12 Oct 1784 at Mark
                      Richard Puddy 30 Dec 1787 Somerset died 31 Jan 1847, to Elizabeth Gilling b 4 July 1788 died 20 Feb 1835 (they married 13 July 1809 at Mark, S/set,
                      Henry Puddy b 9 Jul 1815 Mark, died 30 Dec 1854 Australia

Henry b 1815
                      Richard b 1787
                      John b 1767
                      James b 1732
                      John b 1701
                      Richard 1741 (so the last one is obviously incorrect?)

Is anyone able to check these please?

Comment

Working...
                      X