Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering births ...

Hi

I have been searching all evening and can't find it for looking but I know that it is something that you guys can help me with - pretty please :Wink:

I know that registration for births was brought in in 1837 but from when was it compulsory? (I am trying to explain why I cannot find a death of someone born in 1848)

Many, many thanks in advance :smilee:
    :D Charney Jo

Hi
    I think it was 1875
    Moggie

Comment

Do you want to give us the details - another pair of eyes might help.
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

You have already helped me with this - it's the elusive Henry Treadwell (or Hudson!). He's listed on the IGI at being born on 18 September 1848 in Leamington. I (we :Big Grin can't find him on the 1851 census either ... :(

I NEED to get going with this family tree for my MIL. It's her birthday next week so just need to explain why I can't find it ...

Trying hard to get additional background info too --- and struggling. It's hard to do anything with a 10 month old, isn't it :Big Grin: ?

Comment

I remember it well! :Big Grin:
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Moggie. Sorry, meant to thank you too ... :emb:

I just couldn't find it anywhere and it was driving me nuts!

Comment

It became law for every birth and death to be registered in 1644.
              Later due in part to people disregarding the law a further enactment was made in 1695. A fine of 40 shillings was imposed on parents who omitted to give notice within the five days and a similar penalty was payable by the vicar.

Fast forward to the Act for registering Births, Deaths, and Marriages in England [17th August 1836.]
              In this Act (from 1st March 1837) every parent had to register a birth if asked by the registrar.
              By an Act of 1874 parents were again responsible for ensuring the their child’s birth was registered.

However you are searching for a burial and there was a requirement for the death to be registered before the body was buried.
              The 1836 Act states-
              “XXVII. And be it enacted, That every Registrar, immediately upon registering any Death, or as soon thereafter as he shall be required so to do, shall, without Fee or Reward, deliver to the Undertaker or other Person having Charge of the Funeral a Certificate under his Hand, according to the Form of Schedule (E.) to this Act annexed, that such Death has been duly registered, and such Certificate shall be delivered by such Undertaker or other person to the Minister or officiating Person who shall be required to bury or to perform any religious Service for the Burial of the dead Body, and if any dead Body shall be buried for which no such Certificate shall have been so delivered, the Person who shall bury or perform any Funeral or any religious Service for the Burial shall forthwith give Notice thereof to the Registrar : Provided always, that the Coroner, upon holding any Inquest, may order the Body to be Buried, if he shall think fit, before Registry of the Death, and shall in such Case give a Certificate of his Order in Writing under his Hand, according to the Form of Schedule (F.) to this Act annexed, to such Undertaker or other person having Charge of the Funeral, which shall be delivered as aforesaid ; and every Person who shall bury or perform any Funeral or any religious Service for the Burial of any dead Body for which no Certificate shall have been duly made and delivered as aforesaid, either by the Registrar or Coroner, and who shall not within Seven Days give Notice thereof to the Registrar, shall forfeit and pay any Sum not exceeding Ten Pounds for every such Offence.”
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy. Very interesting.

I'm, sorry, I just realised that I put 'death' rather than 'birth' in my original post! It is the birth I am trying to find - have found him in all census returns except 1851, I have his marriage and death certs, it's just the birth that is elusive!

Comment

Working...
                X