Sick Nurse (SM.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Nurse (SM.)

What does the SM stand for in this 1881 census record for Sarah Fisher?

Enable Cookies - Ancestry.co.uk

thanks.

Whatever it is, it appears to have been added later, at the totting up stage. The same has been added to a similar category of worker further down the page.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The only thing I can find that comes close is Sub Matron, but that was abbreviated as SMtr.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I agree with Christine - I thnik the SM is enumerator code, which was added when the different categories of work were being calculated.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Having Googled around all I can come up with is Staff Member or less likely in my opinion is Sisters of Mercy
          Hail Spode!

Comment

It's the enumerators' code as has been said above. It has no relevance for us as family history researchers.

OC

Comment

I seem to remember someone helping me when I had the enumerators' code GL written in the employment section which stood for General Labourer. It may have been little significance but significance none the less.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

guybrush

Yes, very helpful if that is ALL that is written, but in this case the lady is clearly described as a Sick Nurse, so SM will tell us nothing more than we already know.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X