Would this be the right marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be the right marriage?

Trying to trace some of my Brown relations, Mary Jane Brown born in Leicester St Margaret in 1855. I have her in all censuses to 1881. According to FreeBMD 2 Mary Jane Browns married in Leicester between 1881 and 1891.

However, in 3rd Quarter 1881 there is a possible marriage between Mary and Sydney William Burrows. In the 1881 census Sydney W Burrows is a visitor with the Browns. Surely too much of a coincidence - do I need to get the certificate?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Linda,

Of course you need the certificate. You can't have certainty without it, and there might be some bonus information on it.

Peter

Comment

as Peter says if you purchase the cert it will definately confirm your findings, I have had this scenario in the past and more often than not the 'lodger' turns out to be a husband later on.

the witness names could aslo possibly help 'cement' the relationships or open up a brand new line to investigate.

you could also look for a Mary J Burrows in the 1891 cens and see if the information you have on your 'mary jane' tallies with the one you think is yours to Mr. Burrows
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have checked all the censuses, 1891, 1901 and 1911 - she definitely matches in name age and pob. Unfortunately, they did not have any children on any of the censuses - either they didn't have any or they all died, so there is probably no further information from that source. This line appears to have died out as her sister does not seem to have married. Will add to the list of purchases for the future.

Thanks for your help.

Linda
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I had a lovely example of a lodger turned husband. The happy couple were only able to marry after mummy died so they were quite long in the tooth by then.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
          X