No announcement yet.

What will burial record tell me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will burial record tell me please?

Can anyone tell me please, if I go to the records office to look at 2 burial records - one for 1860 and one for 1874 - what they are likely to tell me. I already know the date and church and their ages. I don't suppose the first would give me any help to find out her maiden name would it? On the second, would it be likely to give me a clue whether it is the first ones husband/in the same grave?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I think all you get is
    • Date of the burial
    • Name of the deceased
    • Name of minister performing the service
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine :smilee: I don't think it's worth a trip to the records office then. They won't really help.

Comment

it may also have a grave reference number on it, if you then look at the other burial record and it has the same reference number then you will know if they are buried in the same grave

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          Thank you Elaine :smilee: I don't think it's worth a trip to the records office then. They won't really help.
          is this to do with your Heaps Chrissie?

I think you might find more out with the death certs, (at least you'd get an informant)

are they buried in a Churchyard or is it a municiple cemetery? (sometimes if the cemetery is on fiche, you actually get the plot number)
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you Lisa and Julie :smilee:

Yes Julie, it's those Heaps again :Big Grin: I have Ligna Vita's death cert. I was just hoping upon hope that it might give me a clue to her birth name, but I knew it wouldn't. The second death I think may be widower William, but I could send for the death cert easier than going to Matlock, and it would probably cost about the same in petrol :Big Grin:

Comment

well at least if you did send for williams death cert you would have the informant, which might be one of his children..

perhaps the route to go down would be to have a look at the baptism (I mean the actual entry, not the transcribed one)

or perhaps have you considered looking to see if there are any living relatives or William and Ligna Vita? see if anything gleans from that?

I do know that alot of Gypsy lore is actually verbal rather than written, so it might be that someone/somewhere actually does know somehting rather than actually physically written down. (if that makes sense) :conf:
              Julie

Comment

Thank you Julie :smilee:

Yes, I think you are right. I shall have to look into William a bit more first though as I'm not sure that is the right death - I'm only guessing.

I am hoping to get to Matlock to see any/or all of the original baptisms but hubby isn't A1 at the moment as he had a nasty fall. As soon as he feels like a trip out we shall go.

I agree that finding someone would probably be the best bet. For the last week I have been going into GR and searching for Heaps, then sending messages. So far, unfortunately, I have known more than they do :Big Grin: Still, at least I have been able to help them a bit :Big Grin: I shall keep searching on there though.

I keep getting held up by hubby. Because he can't do much he keeps asking me if I have any more ancestors to put into FTM, so I have to stop what I'm doing and reel them off to him while he types them in :Big Grin:

Comment

LOL!! I take it he is getting bitten then whilst laid up??

If her last name is Reuel (and if you do goto Matlock and arent sure then ask them if you can see the original or ask them to have a guess what it says too) the more opinions you can get the better.

you might have to do abit of searching to find out where this name originates, that might help you.

failing that it is looking at the gypsy sites online and asking them if they know of anything.
                  Julie

Comment

None of the parish burial registers I have consulted have ever given details of specific graves. (Laterly some have added "followed by cremation" or "interment of ashes".)

For details of specific graves within a churchyard, you would need to see the burial plan. As this is usually an ongoing, working document, it is kept in the parish. The one for where I live is now kept by a church warden - it shows a ground plan with all used plots numbered; there is a separate list, arranged by grave number, which gives the name of the person interred and the date.

To know if 2 people were buried together, you would need the list - to know where they were buried you would need the plan. If you wanted further details of the deceased (other than name and date of burial) you would need to consult the burial register, The information is recorded for different purposes and is not duplicated in each document.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

this is slightly different then to a municiple cemetery.. I have seen the fiche for a particular one and they actually give the plot number and who else is buried in the grave. (this is still a council cemetery that is still in use) though the records from it opening and upto 1972/3 I think are at the Archives. (I do believe though that burials after this date you have to contcat the council and then they will give you/send you a plan with the grave marked on it).
                      Julie

Comment

I think this is where I'm getting confused :conf: I contacted the church at Heage and they were very helpful but said that the records would be at Matlock and when I e-mailed Matlock they said they had them. However, the church did say that it would give details of grave numbers and who was in them :conf:

p.s. He's just arrived at the side of me again with his laptop - obviously bored again

Comment

Chrissie, I haven't got a visit to the records in Matlock in mind for the near future but I am willing to look for you when I do go.

From my experience of burial records, I have found minimal information regarding some and others have given grave numbers, addresses and a list of the people in the grave.

Some cemetaries charge for the information to locate graves
                          Last edited by Kath nr the Crooked Spire; 03-11-09, 12:36. Reason: added a bit
                          Kathleen

Comment

would ringing Ripley council help Chris? they might have details of the burials/plots?

Matlock will have the burial register, (and on fiche too) but I dont think that they would hold the plans for the churchyard (as in who is buried in which plot). (I could be wrong though)

for example I know that Hucknall Library hold the Fiche for st. marys parish church (burial registers) I also know that Huck Lib have a folder with a 'plan' of the churchyard, ( this is the parish church ) they however dont hold ANY info (either fiche or plans) for Broomhill Cemetery. (you have to traipse to Notts archives to see these) :F

maybe a visit to a local studies library in Ripley? would help. failing that I would email St Lukes again and ask them if they could provide you with the burial plots..numbers

I also know that the Mortuary Chapel @ Broomhill hold a plan of the cemetery, but it isnt available for the public to view (its just for the staff)
                            Julie

Comment

That's very kind of you Kath :smilee: I hope to get there fairly soon but I think I need to get everything sorted in my head of exactly what I need to look at first.

I have sent for the birth cert that we think MAY be Eliza. So (if the postal strike doesn't take hold) that may help.

I will try Ripley Council JUlie - thanks for the tip. I also e-mailed the Laughton En Le Morthen church yesterday from a link that Joan put up. I told them about the Milly Travaunant Heaps baptism record that I had found and asked them if they could help, or if they thought the local library might. Oddly enough though I can't find it in my e-mail outbox :conf:

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post

p.s. He's just arrived at the side of me again with his laptop - obviously bored again
                                Can't you show him sudoku on here or scrabble on facebook:Wink:
                                Rose

Comment

He won't entertain Sudoku Rosie and we don't have Facebook :Big Grin:
                                  He has popped out to visit a friend at the moment phewwwwww :Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
                                  X