Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't the occupation on the certs match the census records

Hello,

I have a birth 1851 and marriage 1869 certificate for Alice Fisher who's father is shown as Peter Fisher who appears to be a Lawyer in both records.

However the census records for 51, 61 & 71 have Peter Fisher as an Ag Labourer.

I am sure I have the correct census records because;

a) the census records are for Uley which is the same place as the birth cert
    b) Alice's age in the census records would have made her a minor for the 69 marriage
    c) the witnesses to the marriage are her older brothers and sisters listed in the 51 and 61 census record.

So what am I missing he can't be a lawyer from 51 to 69 on the certs and a ag lab in the census records.

There are no other census records I can find that match.

Anyone got any idea's?

51 c

- Ancestry.co.uk

61 c

- Ancestry.co.uk

71 c

- Ancestry.co.uk
    Attached Files

Are you sure the certs don't say Sawyer i.e. the Sawyer on a farm perhaps?
    Mind you , it doesn't look the same as the S in Spinster does it.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think it might say Sawyer. What does anyone else think.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I'm another one for sawyer

ETA - my "lawyer" at this time is recorded as "attourney at law".
        Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 02-11-09, 19:49. Reason: additional comment
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Now the sawyer/lawyer thing is cleared up, I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would describe themselves as a lawyer. They'd either be a solicitor or a barrister.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sometimes there are bizarre anomalies in occupations. I have a chap who is described on censuses as either "carpenter" or "master carpenter" but on his daughter's wedding cert it says he is a "waiter" (not a restaurant waiter, this was a chap who waited for cargoes to impose excise tax on them).
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just a thought. Are the certificates that are being scrutinised the 'Originals'? If not then what is written is the copier's interpretation and he/she may well have misread.
              I would suggest that detailed examination of the characters is only valid on an original or its photocopy.

Comment

Mine always gussied themselves up for an occasion which required a certificate and many a farmer at marriage appears as an ag lab on the census!

Census records ONE DAY in ten years and the occupation would be what they were doing that day - ag labbing because there was no sawyering work. Either that, or the enumerator thought ag lab covered it and was having no truck with people who tried to pretend they weren't JUST an ag lab.

OC

Comment

For what its worth I'd go with Sawyer too.. I have seen lots of these and have done alot of transcribing, I'd go with sawyer. :smilee:
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks very much - most helpful

Comment

The upper-case S & L in old script have often been mistaken for one another. I spent a lot of time looking for Ann LANSBURY (in OH's tree), only to find that she was really SANSBURY.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

We had a similar problem with a surname -
                        Was it Sired, or Lired?
                        (Turned out to be Sired)

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Little Nell has one of my favourites - but I won't steal her thunder by quoting it!

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

More prosaic - the GRO have one of my deaths indexed as Sydiard; the local RO has it correctly as Lydiard. These are always a bit tricky because of the 3-letter wildcard restriction on Ancestry.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh Christine - do I really? Which one? Is it the milkman who became a "provisions merchant"? I'm fond of him too!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                Oh Christine - do I really? Which one? Is it the milkman who became a "provisions merchant"? I'm fond of him too!
                                It's the one which appears an almost impossible mistranscription - that is: it's quite hard to work out how the wrong name was discerned out of the writing of the correct name. And it's another L/S one!! L****thy from S***th(e?)y

Christine

Comment

I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it! On one hand I am so incredibly grateful that we have these records available to us, but on the other hand I just find the anomalies so funny... every family has them I think, whether it be names, occupations, residences etc - or all of them!

In your case, I would agree with everyone else that the image says "Sawyer" not lawyer.

Good luck with the rest of your searching, its a complicated business isn't it!?

Rachel

Comment

Working...
                                  X