X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian help

Hi All,

Just a small request,
    But is there a chance somone could provide contact details of a research centre in the BYRON BAY area of NSW in Aus.
    Some of my ancestors "emigrated" there in the 1800's. Seems the common place is the Byron Bay area.
    If anyone knows of any sites that I could explore on the net etc, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your time,

Dave:smilee:
    Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Dont give up in the search for Maddie

Hi Dave
    Have you tried http://www.brunswickvalley.com.au/historical_society/
    I can't seem to find an actual society within Byron itself, it's not a very large town, but great to visit!... this society seems to cover the area. Have you been through the National Archives National Archives of Australia and NSW BMD NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
    Naomiatt
    Brisbane

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
      Hi Dave
      Have you tried http://www.brunswickvalley.com.au/historical_society/
      I can't seem to find an actual society within Byron itself, it's not a very large town, but great to visit!... this society seems to cover the area. Have you been through the National Archives National Archives of Australia and NSW BMD NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages
      Naomiatt
      Brisbane
      Hiya,

I've dipped my toe in, so to speak but nothing concrete. Cheers for those links , I will certainly give them a serious go. Don't suppose there would be any local messageboards , that I could leave a message and the like. To be honest I have a fair bit of gen on names etc that went there , but lacking in info on what happened after they arrived.
      But thanks for you time,
      Cheers,

Researching the names HART,LILLEY,DAVISON & FINN all from around LINCS/CAMBS. HARTS Also in AUS & CANADA

Comment

Hi Dave

Byron Bay is a small tourist resort town, so there is no local historical or familyhistory society. Nearest you would probably find would be Lismore (Richmond River Historical Society).

Rootsweb have a NSW North Coast mailing list where you could leave a message (User Mailing Lists Hosted by RootsWeb) NSW-NORCO-L.

You should also search the National Library of Australia newspapers on-line database ( NLA Australian Newspapers) - the Maitland Mercury was a major newspaper and often reported on happenings outside the Hunter Valley, particularly in regional NSW.

If you like, I will search the NSW Electoral Rolls (1903-1954) on ancestry if you do not have a sub and think it might be useful.

NSW State Records might also have some useful information.

Diane
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
          Hi Dave

Byron Bay is a small tourist resort town, so there is no local historical or familyhistory society. Nearest you would probably find would be Lismore (Richmond River Historical Society).

Rootsweb have a NSW North Coast mailing list where you could leave a message (User Mailing Lists Hosted by RootsWeb) NSW-NORCO-L.

You should also search the National Library of Australia newspapers on-line database ( NLA Australian Newspapers) - the Maitland Mercury was a major newspaper and often reported on happenings outside the Hunter Valley, particularly in regional NSW.

If you like, I will search the NSW Electoral Rolls (1903-1954) on ancestry if you do not have a sub and think it might be useful.

NSW State Records might also have some useful information.

Diane
          Cheers Diane,
          That would be great , I don't belong to Ancestory , but will certainly try the other links. Lismore rings a bell . Thinking about it most of them landed at Rockampton?.
          Love to know if there are any Hart's from my line still there.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
          Dave

Comment

Dave...............send me some info ...pm if they are still alive. Byron Bay is my closest beach, only a couple of hours away.

Can't says for sure when I'll be there next time, but I'm happy to look.

We also have a lady from Lismore who comes to our family history meetings..

200kms is not far in Aussie speak.

Comment

Rockhampton is in Qld a long way from Byron Bay or Lismore, but I know Rocky well and have quite a few rellies in the cemetery there along with a few who are still breathing.

Yell if you need a hand there.

Comment

Cheers Mum of Harry:smilee:

When I get home I will certainly dig out some info.shhhhhh at work at the moment:Big Grin:

Take care,

Comment

No worries...

Don't get caught....lol

Comment

The Qld archives have some migration records on-line for those arriving in Rocky - a lot of people (including my ggf) went to Rocky to work in the canefields.
                    Have look at the indexes (Indexes)

Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

The Electoral Rolls of 1937-1954 show that a large family of Harts were farmers and dairymen at Ewingsdale. Whitepages show some Harts still living in the area.

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                        The Qld archives have some migration records on-line for those arriving in Rocky - a lot of people (including my ggf) went to Rocky to work in the canefields.
                        Have look at the indexes (Indexes)

Di

Cheers agian Di:Big Grin::Big Grin:

Lot to do when I finish work methinks:smilee:
                        The Hart's were all farmers in the Uk too

Comment

My very first boyfriend was a Hart.............lol

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                            My very first boyfriend was a Hart.............lol
                            Apt surname! :smilee:

Comment

Hi Dave - I'm in touch with a Hart in Melbourne who has been researching his family for some time, originally from the UK...do you have any first names at all?

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                                Hi Dave - I'm in touch with a Hart in Melbourne who has been researching his family for some time, originally from the UK...do you have any first names at all?

Got a fair few, but I am at work again...I will try to get round sorting the info out....tonight hopefully. I will attempt to pm you the details.

I must get organised , typical man eh?:Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
                                X