Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would any of the Aussies be interested in swapping Aus for English payments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would any of the Aussies be interested in swapping Aus for English payments?

I have to pay a researcher in NSW; they're not set up to accept credit card payments, and apparently it's very expensive to cash foreign cheques in Aus.

Would anyone living in Aus be willing to pay them by cheque on my behalf, in exchange for which I could buy you English or Australian certs to the same value using my credit card?

This might be useful for anyone in Aus wishing to buy certs or photocopies from English record offices that won't accept credit card payments.

I suggested that, but they don't seem very keen. I can't say I am, to be honest, because I get so many fake Paypal messages in my Inbox (I know they're fake because I don't have an account).

Comment

Mary

Can't you transfer money from your bank to there's?

Elaine
      Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Yes, but that's also very expensive.

If nobody's interested in a swap, then I'll do that, but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone in Aus might be interested.

Comment

Mary............

Email me and tell me what you need the researcher to do. I will ask my mentors at the FH group.

I'm surprised they don't have facilities for international payment through Worldpay or similar and that would cause me to wonder about them....

So many of us don't even have a cheque account anymore (I don't have Paypal either). Credit cards are just the common way to pay anything.

I'll happily help if I can.

Comment

Hi Mary

I would be happy to help too. Like Libby I am surprised they don't have international facilities, although several years ago, one I contacted did not have an email address and I had to write by snail mail for my query.

As long as you don't need to physically access the archives, in say, Melbourne, I can go to most places. And I probably know someone in Melbourne who could go there, too

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks very much for the offer, Libby and Di, but I should have made it clear that the researcher's already done the work and sent it to me, but forgot to sort out how the payment could be sent first. It's one of the people from the Sydney Benevolent Asylum site, who's got me a lot of information from the Asylum records. The site's only just gone online, so I guess they're not used to dealing with people from abroad.

It's not the first time I've come across this problem - the Sydney Dead People's Society won't accept donations by foreign cheque either, because it costs them too much to cash them.

Comment

Working...
              X