Frederick Northover of Swyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Northover of Swyre

Frederick Northover was born in Swyre, Dorset on 23 August 1808. In 1891 census he is in Osmington, Dorset as a single lodger, occupation Farm Labourer. (Dob is 1813, but I'm pretty sure it is him as there were no other Frederick Northovers born in Swyre until 1830)

Can anyone find any trace of him between those dates?

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I've been looking at the image and I don't think that his age is 78 - I think its 28 which would tie in with another Frederick Northover who was born aged 18 born Swyre and an ag lab in 1881

- Ancestry.co.uk
    Jackie

Comment

This is 1851 - a likely candidate. I couldn't get him from just the English census, but got him on the national one by putting Fre* Nor*, born Dor* Swy*:
      HO107/1861 fo 86 p 5

WRONG Of course, it's probably the father of the one Jackie identified.

I agree with Jackie about 1891: the age is #8, transcribed as 78, but the 7s on the page are a different shape and 28 is much more likely. I've put in a YoB correction on that basis.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-11-09, 14:39.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are a few trees on Ancestry which include Frederick Northover b 1808.
        Three of them state he died before 1841, although there were no sources attached.
        Elaine

Comment

Living where he did - how likely that he spent some of his life as a seaman??

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Night Owl - Yes you are right. However on the plus side, that is still one of my Northovers - I just hadn't got down to him yet!

Christine - unfortunately that is the one born in 1830 (who is incidentally the father of Night Owls' Frederick). I'm trying to track down the one born in 1808 (who is the Uncle of the one born in 1830). I'll have another trawl through the deaths, just in case I missed him.

This family are definitely making me go cross-eyed, as they are all from a small town in Dorset (I think they make up about 30% of the population) and use the same names all the time. It gets quite confusing when you have 3 Elizabeths all born in the same year from the same place!

Thanks for looking.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

If you're researching NORTHOVERs, then this shows up on the TNA QuickSearch:

D/BTM/F11/1 26 Jun 1866

These documents are held at Dorset History Centre

1 doc

Contents:
              Marriage certificate of Frederick Northover and Louisa Seal
              It shows up on GRO as 1866q2 Bridport 5a-781

Christine

Comment

And there's this, too
                Description
                Name Northover, James
                Official Number: 76953
                Place of Birth: Swyre, Dorset
                Date 6 February 1831
                Catalogue reference ADM 188/66
                Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies
                Series Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services
                Piece 76601 - 77200
                downloadable for £3.50

Christine

Comment

I couldn't see him on either the Bishops Transcripts or FreeBMD, but that's not to say he didn't die! There are a number of family trees with Northovers on Ancestry, but unfortunately a lot of them have errors (surprise surprise) and mix up a lot of the people. As far as I can tell, with the Northovers seaman was a euphemism for smuggler - they were very well known in those parts!

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

Thanks again Christine - I think that is yet another Frederick - another nephew. The James who entered the Coast Guard must have been the black sheep! He seems to have left the village and never come back . I wonder if he ever caught some of his relatives?

Linda
                    Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                      ... As far as I can tell, with the Northovers seaman was a euphemism for smuggler - they were very well known in those parts!

Linda
                      How can you say such a thing! ;)
                      I suspect that that may be true for most of the European-facing coastline villages: all along the South and East coasts.

Christine

Comment

There is a report on Google, which says that the Northovers of Swyre provided regular employment for the keeper of Dorchester Gaol!! Might I just point out that they are part of OH's family

Linda
                        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          There is a report on Google, which says that the Northovers of Swyre provided regular employment for the keeper of Dorchester Gaol!! Might I just point out that they are part of OH's family

Linda
                          Yes, Linda. Of course they are.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                          X