Saving or Printing part of a Tree on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving or Printing part of a Tree on Ancestry

Noticed the thread on printing Trees from GR but can anyone tell me how to either save or print the part of a Tree on Ancestry that’s of interest to me. I would like to use it to cross reference the information I already have. I have tried several ways without much success and feel I must be missing a trick somewhere.

sorry havent a clue - never done it even for mine on there so perhaps you could down load a gedcom and use bits of it?
    Angelina

Comment

Thankyou Angelina, but I don't know how to download a Gedcom file from a tree either.

Comment

Pat, is it your own tree you want to print - or does it belong to someone else?

You can only download a GEDCOM from your own tree. Click on Tree Settings (just under the name of your family tree file) and on the right hand side, towards bottom of screen, you will see a tab for Download GEDCOM file. Once you have downloaded it on to your computer you will then need to open it up with a Family Tree program.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, no it's not my Tree. I haven't put mine on Ancestry as I have only recently subscribed and my data has been entered into another software programme. I don't want to use the Tree facility on Ancestry for my Tree as it would men hours of data entry and it would all be repetition of what I have already got. I'd just like an easy way to copy or print portions of other Trees that seem to match mine so that I can cross check the data and then possibly contact the Tree owners.

Since my first post on this thread, I have had another good look at Ancestry Trees and can find no way to save any of them, but I'm still hoping that the Ancestry experts will know a way of doing this.

Comment

If the tree does not belong to you then there is no way of saving it to your computer. It can only be downloaded by the tree owner.
            Elaine

Comment

You can print parts of someone else's tree if it's a Public one.

Find someone you're interested in on the tree.
              Click 'View Family Tree' on the top left
              On the next page you have a little printer icon on the right, click it and chose 'Printer Friendly'
              You can then print that section from the popped out window.
              Repeat for all people you're interested in.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Surely it would be the right thing to do to make contact with the tree owner first and ask their permission to take sections of the tree, after all it is their hard work and expence that got it there in the first place.
                I do not agree with people just taking stuff from trees without the consent of the owner.

Edna

Comment

True, but if it's just for reference I dont see a problem. Also if the owner feels like that, then they can always make the tree private.
                  Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks Guybrush, I will try that.

Edna, I have no intention of copying someone else's Tree. I simply want to cross check some details with mine. The information is already on their Ancestry Tree and I could do it from the screen, but when there are quite a few generations, including siblings and their spouses and their children, it gets a bit cumbersome to do it from the screen and keep paging back and forth. Hence the reason I asked about printing parts in my OP.

Comment

Working...
                    X