Marriage Licences - Children!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Licences - Children!

Browsing the Marriage Licences - without much luck - I came across the following

Page 278

Freeman Ralph bachelor aged about 10 years and Dorothy Dycer aged 8 years and upwards, her parents dead, with consent of her Grandfather, Richard Goulston of Widdiall, co Herts esq. who alleges - at Widdiall, Austry, or Aspendon Herts

5 July 1676 F

Does this mean they were betrothed rather than about to be married? I wonder why they would do that?

This was a Marriage Agreement. Such marriages were called imperfect marriages and the marriage would not necessarily be consummated, nor would the couple live together as man and wife, although the girl normally went to live with her inlaws to be trained in their ways.

But a marriage ceremony would be performed and the marriage was considered binding. It was almost always about money, two families getting together for their mutual benefit.

I have seen child marriages as young as birth, although considerably earlier than this period.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 01-11-09, 11:20. Reason: Edited for James!

Comment

OC how can you have a marriage before you are born?

Comment

James

Sorry I didn't read my post for sense before I pressed send!

I've amended it.

OC

Comment

Thankyou for the information - I had heard about the practice, but hadn't realised it happened quite so young or in families other than the Nobility. Also, it is a bit of a shock to see it in black and white so to speak. Poor little mite - only 8 years old and the Grandfather doesn't seem to be too sure about that! Sounds more like getting rid of her - wonder if she was an heiress?

Comment

Doubt if she was an heiress, otherwise he would have hung onto her.

I expect he saw himself as doing well by the girl, giving her a safe future as a married woman. Her feelings wouldn't have entered into it. I also expect there was some financial incentive on both sides and everyone was happy about it (all the adults, that is).

OC

Comment

Twas a strange place then and Widdial still is! :Wink:
              Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Must Google Widdial :Big Grin:

Comment

It sits just next door to Buntingford the bare knuckle prize fighting capital of East Anglia.
                  Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Says it all really...............lol

Comment

Working...
                    X