Dalby Family... Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalby Family... Help needed

My Grandma, Alice Dalby was born on 18th January 1910 in North Bierley. West Yorkshire. I'm now trying to find her siblings and possibly her parents names. I've been on FreeBMD and found a few Dalbys born in that area. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Tricia

Have just been on Welcome to the official 1911 Census website - haven't any credits so can't look at details - but Alice is there age 7 months but there's 6 pages of Dalby's in North Bierley.

If you buy some credits you'll see who's she's with.

However if you get her birth certificate it will confirm her mother's maiden name and her father's name and you can work back from that. It's always best to get the certificates or you could find yourself going down the wrong track. It's amazing what people failed to say or certificates prove them mistaken!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Where did you get her date and place of birth from? The only Alice Dalby on FreeBMD born in North Bierley in 1910 was registered in the September quarter, which is too late for a January birth.

Also the Alice on the 1911 census is living in North Bierley, but if you put North Bierley as the birthplace (or just Yorkshire) there are no hits.

Comment

After a few trial and error searches, I think Alice is living in 1911 with parents Kershaw 32 and Louisa 30 and siblings Thomas 8, Sam 7 and Lewis 3.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Mary. I know she was born on the 18th January and when i asked my Auntie, she told me it was 1910 <<bangs head against wall !!>> and i'm positive it was North Bierley. I'll have to re-check. Looks like that might be wrong too. Many thanks....Tricia

Comment

Marriages Dec 1901
            Anstick Ada N. Bierley 9b 317
            AUSTICK Ada N. Bierley 9b 317
            Dalby Kershaw N. Bierley 9b 317
            FRANCE Makin N.Bierley 9b 317
            WHITAKER Louisa N. Bierley 9b 317

Possible birth for Louisa:

Births Dec 1880
            WHITAKER Louisa Bradford, Y. 9b 49

(Bradford reg. district included North Bierley then.)

Comment

Births Jun 1878
              Dalby Kershaw Bradford, Y. 9b 230

Comment

Kershaw's single and living with aunt and uncle Martin and Hannah Hodgson in Clayton, West Yorks in 1901. His birthplace is given as Clayton.

Checking back on the 1911 census, his birthplace is given as Clayton, and so is Alice's.

Comment

I think your next step is to get Alice's marriage cert, which will give her age and her father's name.

Comment

Alice was born in 1912, just checked with my auntie, so think you've gone on the wrong track completely. Plus, i don't recognise any of those names from when i was little.

Comment

OK, back to the drawing board

This looks like the birth:

Births Mar 1912
                      Dalby Alice, mother's maiden name Baldwin , N.Bierley 9b 36

Comment

Marriages Mar 1896
                        BALDWIN Susannah Bradford, Y. 9b 48
                        Dalby Fred Bradford, Y 9b 48
                        Dickinson Mary Ann Bradford Y 9b 48
                        Fisher William Henry Bradford 9b 48

Fred and Susannah are living in North Bierley in 1911 with children Ann Ellen, Isabella, George W, Smith, and Dick, and a William F Dalby.

Do those names sound more familiar?

Comment

i think you need to start at the bottom. i asked my grandma about the tree and she gave me names going back to the late 18th century. i did my own work of course, getting certificates to back up what grandma said.

i think you need your parents birth certs and their marriage. then get your grandparents marriage. as mary said, it will tell you how old your gran was, and what her father's name was, as well as her address at the time, and her dad's occupation. then you can locate her family on the 1911 census.

Comment

Thankyou Mary. I recognise some of the names on there. There was a big family fall out years ago and my Grandma did'nt talk much about her family. I met a few of them but not them all. I'll see how far i can get with the details that you've found me. Your help as been much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                            X