New Ancestry database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ancestry database

United Kingdom & Ireland Historical Postcards - added 30 Oct 2009.

I'm having a problem adding something into the search box which brings up any image! :F
    Can anyone find some examples?
    Elaine

I was expecting it to be county related.
    You need to search on place name, e.g. York, Birmingham, Liverpool etc.
    Elaine

Comment

Some of the messages are great!!

- Ancestry.co.uk
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's a good one, Caroline.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          Some of the messages are great!!

- Ancestry.co.uk
          I was thinking that the messages have almost as much potential as the pictures!

That particular message highlights an era in which there were several deliveries per day, and "by return" could mean you'd get a reply the same day as you sent the message!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This message is extraordinary! (Particularly the bit that's sideways on as you look at it.)
            - Ancestry.co.uk

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's something really odd about the keywords search on that database.

I put in London and got nothing.

I put in Westminster and got: Westminster Abbey, London
              I put in Leicester and got: London By Night. Leicester Square. + London Leicester Square.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-10-09, 14:55.

Comment

Thanks Elaine - very interesting! :smilee:

I'm also struggling to come up with any results using keywords. I'm having a bit more luck using the location search, but that also isn't working as I'd expect it to.
                Sarah

Comment

I have cards sent (eg to her mother) and received by my grandmother in the 1910s and quite a few were arranging meetings for later the same day!

Comment

I wonder how they got round copyright issues for the photos? I've got about 400 from 1904-1930 many with messages on the back between my family members but I can't show you them as there may be copyright infringement. They would have made a good article for the magazine...

Comment

Perhaps the people who did the keywords and indexing are as geographically challenged as some of our members (no names, no pack-drill).
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X