Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Iveson 1808

Hi,

Two of my OH's ancestors Mary and John Hinchliffe are shown on the 1841, 1851, and 1861 census' (See links below). Their eldest child Elizabeth (that I am aware of) was born in 1832. I am therefore trying to find a possible/probable marriage for Mary and John.

- Ancestry.co.uk

- Ancestry.co.uk

- Ancestry.co.uk

According to the census returns John came from Clayton West - which is Huddersfield and Mary came from clayton Clay- which is actually Clayton with Frickley, Doncaster (source - Genuki). I was therefore looking for a marriage around 1830 which might fit. I found three marriages which I though might be appropriate. Mary Woodhead marrying John 14 Dec 1829, Kirkburton, Mary Iveson Marrying John 1827 Royston. and Mary Ann Hirst marrying John 11 Sep 1831 Almondbury.

Taking into account that the family were living in Royston in 1841 and Iveson is an unusual name I looked to see if there was a Mary Iveson born c1808 in Clayton Doncaster. There is a Mary Iveson born 1808 - parents John and Rebecca Iveson. Mary had a sister Rebecca who also married in Royston (1822). So I think that the family moved to Royston and this is why both girls married there.

Would some one check my reasoning on this just to make sure that I am not putting two and two together and making five.

If I am correct and Mary's maiden name was Iveson, then I have further problems. I can not find a marriage of John Iveson and Rebecca anywhere.
    I think this is probably one of those names that has mutated. Please can any one find a possible marriage for the couple and any other siblings. For the time in question I would have expected more than two children.

I know there are parish records on Ancestry for Clayton and Frickley, but I no longer have the package which allows me to access them. Please would some one look to see if there is any more information to be had via this source.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sandra

On 'Hugh wallis' site there is this:

JOSEPH IVESON - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Marriage: 04 JUL 1803 Doncaster, Yorkshire, England
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Re: Mary and John Hinchliffe, I would have thought the best thing to do is get the birth certificate of one of the children which would give you the mother's maiden name - and then see if any of the possible marriages fit.

Royston comes under the Ecclesfield registration district - two possible birth registrations:

Births Dec 1839
      Hinchliffe John
      Ecclesfield 22 163

Births Sep 1842
      Hinchliffe Hannah
      Ecclesfield 22 144
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

I had thought about the possibility of ordering one of the younger children's birth cerificates, but I had come to the conclusion that their births had not been registered. I had not looked too closely at the births for Ecclesfield because I was under the impression that Barnsley had its own registration district. However, on closer scrutiny I realise that this was after 1850 and not before.

I shall submit an application for one of the births certificates.

Thanks, Sandra

Comment

Hi

I ordered a birth certificate for Hannah Hinchliffe which came yesterday. Unfortunately, the parents were named as Stephen and Martha. So it would seem that my Hannah's birth was not registered.

I could send for the certificate for John registered 1839 but I think it is unlikely that my Johns birth would be registered and not his sisters.

Can anyone think of any other way of establishing the maiden name of Mary?

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
            I could send for the certificate for John registered 1839 but I think it is unlikely that my Johns birth would be registered and not his sisters.
            Sandra
            I do have some of my Graves's that are registered and others that are only baptised (within the same family) so it isnt unheard of.

can you not check the pr's? or have you already done this?
            Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I am not exactly sure where John and Mary died, or even when they died. I think it was between 1861 and 1871 because that is when they disappeared of the census returns.
              But, perhaps a visit to Barnsley records (or possibly even Sheffield) office might be the way forward.

In the mean time is it worth running with the idea that Mary may be a Iveson. I am more likely to be able to get to Doncaster Records office than the other two as a friend of mine has started doing her family history and will probably need to get to Doncaster records office in order to make progress with one of her branches.

Sandra

Comment

It does seem very plausable/logical really..

I know how frustrating they can be too.. I have several mysteries that I have no hope of sorting out. Whats the worst that can happen?

at least you will know one way or the other.
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X