Banns of Marriage Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banns of Marriage Q

Am I right in thinking that the Banns are called at the parish churches of both the Bride and Groom? ie if the groom lived in Southwark and the bride in Croydon the records would appear in both registers but the marriage in only one?
    Sue

Yes, that's correct. I presume that is why you can sometimes only find the banns in the LMA records - it means the church where the marriage took place is not on the LMA records.

Anne

Comment

But the banns should give the other parish so you have an idea of where to look for the marriage - and the date will be after the date of the last banns.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        But the banns should give the other parish so you have an idea of where to look for the marriage - and the date will be after the date of the last banns.
        Not on the one I'm looking at, Nell:F

But thanks for clarifying the subject!
        Sue

Comment

Of course - I'm afraid that, all through the ages, people have opted to try to reduce expense by claiming to live all in one parish, even at the same address!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And one party may go down the Registrar's certificate route if they didn't attend an Established Church (C of E in England, C of S in Scotland).
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi again - I didn't mean the actual date of the marriage would be listed - just tht when you were looking for the marriage you'd know it took place after the last banns were called.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The marriage often seems to be very soon after the third banns - even the next day. However I have seen a couple of Banns records which say "out of time, no marriage". So presumably there is a time limit during which the marriage must take place or the Banns called all over again.

Anne

Comment

My banns were read in 3 parishes, all in the same town. I lived in one parish, hubby in the second and we married in the third.
                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thanks everyone. The particular record I'm thinking of is from 1830. All it gives is the groom's name, bachelor and the brides name, spinster. There's a date at the top of the previous page and thats it. Some of the other records have another date pencilled in next to them which seems to be the date the marriage took place at that Church.
                    I've no idea where the bride comes from (she died in 1835) so unless the actual marriage is digitised she is offically "a dead end"!
                    Of course it's possible that they didn't marry but they had three children (one before the "marriage") that were all baptised.
                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                      Thanks everyone. The particular record I'm thinking of is from 1830. All it gives is the groom's name, bachelor and the brides name, spinster. There's a date at the top of the previous page and thats it. Some of the other records have another date pencilled in next to them which seems to be the date the marriage took place at that Church.
                      These days, it's certainly a requirement to specify "of the parish of..." or "of this parish" or "on the electoral roll of this parish", when calling the banns. I'd have thought that, even in 1830, that info would have been required, so the inference is either that they were both "of the parish" (which means only that they lived there, not that they were born there), or that you're looking at notes of the banns, and not the actual banns book.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X