PDA

View Full Version : Finding Grandad's WW2 service number

guybrush
28-10-09, 22:17
Hi,

I'm about to send off for my late Grandad's WW2 service record before my Gran leaves this mortal coil so I don't have to pay £30 in the future (sorry, did that sound a bit nasty?).

Does anyone know how I can find my Grandad's service number? I have his medals but there's nothing etched onto them. I have found an old photo he took during the war which says about 215 squadron and the squadron details on raf.mod.uk seem to fit.

Cheers

Guybrush

maggie_4_7
28-10-09, 22:19
I don't think you need it.

As long as you have his name and date of birth you should be able to get them.

guybrush
28-10-09, 22:27
Really? Oh that's good. It doesn't specify on the form that the info is optional. It also asks for his National Insurance Number. Is that optional too?

maggie_4_7
28-10-09, 22:35
It says on the kinship form:

Service Number and/or date of birth must be included.

I take that to be one or the other must be included.

The one I used doesn't ask for an NI number I'm not sure they were used before WWII anyway.

I assume you've downloaded the kinship document from here:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

JayG
28-10-09, 23:22
Having his service number would speed up the process but as long you have his name, DOB & Regiment they will be able to find his record.

guybrush
29-10-09, 00:46
The form I have is the RAF one.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AA8A9457-0585-4796-B3B0-5920FABC0CFB/0/RequestforservicedetailsRAFpart3.doc

It's asking for enrollment dates and all sorts of things. The reason I'm getting the service record is to find out details like that. I really dont know how they expect my Gran to do this on her own.

maggie_4_7
29-10-09, 01:29
Okay I've just looked at that kinship form for the RAF.

I suggest you fill in everything you know to be true I don't think it requires everything it asks from what I read,

Fill it in with what you know and send it off.

As long as you have his name and date of birth.

guybrush
29-10-09, 01:47
Ok, thanks. :) I'll try. Might be worth my gran signing a couple more kinship forms just in case the info I have is not enough for them.

I'll keep you posted.

maggie_4_7
29-10-09, 02:56
Ok, thanks. :) I'll try. Might be worth my gran signing a couple more kinship forms just in case the info I have is not enough for them.

I'll keep you posted.

Seriously I think the information you have is enough. As long as you have name and date of birth that should be okay.

Honestly they don't require much more.