Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census help please

Hello all,

I would like help with census details please. I have two sets of parents which I am not sure which is mine. I am hoping that if they are on census, that may help me.
    Robert and Jane Jones, and Robert and Elizabeth Jones. Both have a daughter Catherine bapt in 1805 Llanfawr, Merionethshire.
    I can't seem to get any further. I have searched through the Wills on NLW, in the hope that they may help, but haven't found anything concrete. I would think that they would have been bc 1775-1785.

Thanks very much,

reuben30

Are you expecting Catherine to be unmarried and possibly living with parents in 1841, which is the earliest census available.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello, no she was married by then. It is her parents I am after, if possible.

Comment

IF we could find either set of parents together in 1841 then not sure how it would prove Catherine´s parentage.
        Elaine

Comment

I know, I am going by the two baptisms I found on the IGI. And to complicate matters, Catherine married by licence.

All I have are her children's names. I knew it would be tricky, as I have never been able to get any further.

Comment

1841 census - I can see a Robert Jones age 75 and Ann Jones age 70 - living in the parish of Llanfawr. No occupation given for Robert.
            Elaine

Comment

I didn't see a will for a Robert naming his wife Ann, or indeed daughter Catherine but that is not to say the census you found is not a possibility.

Comment

Hi Reuben

I have had a look at the IGI at the entries you mention. There are 4 entries for Catherine Jones, Baptised in Merioneth in 1805. I notice that for one Catherine there are 3 entries with the same date - 27/1/1805. One of these entries have the parents as Robert Jones and Jane, the other 2 for that date have the parents as Robert and Catherine Jones and the place as Trawsfynydd, Merioneth. The last entry has the date of Baptism as 5/1/1805 with parents Hugh and Elizabeth. They are all submitted entries so I would be inclined to order the films of both places from your local Family History Centre at the LDS Church. This is the link for Llanfawr to show what Church Records are available:

Topic details ('Wales, Merioneth, Llanfor - Church records')

and this is the link for Trawsfynydd:

Topic details ('Wales, Merioneth, Trawsfynydd - Church records')

If you search these films you may get more of an idea of which set are yours. You might also find the marriages of the parents and any other children which could help identify which Catherine is yours.
                Last edited by Elderflower; 29-10-09, 10:25.

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies. I discounted two of the bapts by location, but I really don't have a clue at the moment!:conf:

Thanks again
                  reuben30

Comment

Originally posted by reuben30 View Post
                    Thanks very much for your replies. I discounted two of the bapts by location, but I really don't have a clue at the moment!:conf:

Thanks again
                    reuben30
                    The problem here is that they are all "submitted" entries. As three of them are for the same date, I suspect that a certain amount of guesswork might have been made by the people who submitted these entries. I have experience within my research of this very thing. I suspected in my case that the submitter found a place of birth from a census and added this to their record. When I looked at the films, the Baptisms actually took place in another place, albeit not very far away.

I think the fact that the same date appears three times and all the entries have a variation of names for Father and Mother, if it was me, I'd be ordering the films and searching them for the answers. If you find bothers and sisters for the Catherines, you might find the names pop up again in censuses. I have made several links this way, with nieces etc staying with a relative. I have been able to work out which one of several children with the same name belonged to my family (or not).

Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled - been a long day.

Comment

Reuben

Another day and I am more awake now!

You mention that Catherine married by licence. Have you seen the marriage record? How do you know she married by licence? The Parish Record of the marriage might still give her Father's name and occupation.

As shown in my earlier post, the parents of the children on the IGI are not quite what you have mentioned in your first post. I cannot see one with Robert and Elizabeth, only Robert and Jane, Robert and Catherine and Hugh and Elizabeth.

If her marriage record shows her Father is Robert, then definately get the PR films as I suspect the three entries for 27/1/1805 are all for the same child.

Comment

Thanks Elderflower, for your detailed reply - which wasn't garbled and I understood perfectly!

It seems a case of going slowly, which I don't mind as long as I get somewhere!

Regards
                        reuben30

Comment

I have just read your earlier reply, it has only just come through here, so sorry if I seemed to ignore it.

I apologise if I stated the wrong couple. You are correct in stating the potential parents.

I got their marriage off NLW site. They were married at Llangollen, so I should investigate what churches there were.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction

Comment

I searched the Hugh Wallis site for Llangollen marriage batches and came up with M056491 I then etered that into the IGI search page along with the name Catherine Jones, and British Isles, Wales and Denbigh. I found 8 results

If you do this search and get these 8 Catherines up, look at the one that is yours, click the name to get more details then click on the link under "Source Call No." and you will see a description of the Church records from where this IGI transcription came. It seems it was Church in Wales, Llangollen and the film number you would need is FHL BRITISH Film 104803 Item 1

If you ordered this film, you would then see if there is more information. The IGI is only an index and the films can often supply just what you need in order to move on.
                            By the way, I'm not sure what the NLW site you mention is. Can you tell me? I learn something new from this site every day!

If you need any more help on this, feel free to ask.
                            Last edited by Elderflower; 30-10-09, 17:39. Reason: spelling

Comment

National Library of Wales Aberystwyth.

Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru - National Library of Wales : Croeso - Welcome

They have lots of documents, ie Wills pre 1858 and Marriage Bonds as well as Gaol files as well as other documents.

I have found a couple of my lot on here, so worth a look.

I was hoping that a church look up would be beneficial to me as that may have more information.

Comment

Of course, thankyou Reuben. Good luck with your further research.

Comment

Working...
                                X