Herts Library Service has the British Library C19th Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herts Library Service has the British Library C19th Newspapers

I was in our local library today, using Ancestry.com, and found that Herts has added the BL C19th Newspapers to their online facilities - usable from home. :smilee:

I believe that you do have to live in Herts to be a member, but I wondered how many Hertfordshire folk had spotted this!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Hi Christine, Have you a link that can be used to get to it from home?

Comment

You could access from the main Hertfordshire library site but as Christine said you would need to be a member of Herts library service.
      hertsdirect.org Newspapers and Magazines online
      Elaine

Comment

Oooh, thanks Christine! I shall definitely be checking that out!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've managed to work it out and got in OK now. Many thanks.

Comment

Essex Libraries have them now as well. It's probably worth checking your own library web site to see if they have them yet. As Christine says you will need to have library ticket number to access them tho':smilee:
            Sue

Comment

Found out this weekend that Suffolk Libraries also has them.
              Glen

Comment

I am a Herts Library user but hadn't spotted this. Thanks Christine!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thankyou Christine. Even as a Herts Library member I had not seen this! Will look at it later.

Janet

Comment

Hampshire has it too.

Comment

It looks like Worcester has it too.
                      Sue

Comment

Wish the Isle of Wight had them.:F:F

I can't use the Hampshire one.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          I was in our local library today, using Ancestry.com, and found that Herts has added the BL C19th Newspapers to their online facilities - usable from home. :smilee:
                          I believe that you do have to live in Herts to be a member, but I wondered how many Hertfordshire folk had spotted this!
                          Christine
                          Hi Christine,

I'm in SW Herts, - & I hadn't spotted this!

I only discovered last week that I could access Ancestry Worldwide at my local Library. Can this also be accessed at home?

Cheers, Holly.

Comment

Sadly not Holly! It goes against the terms of the agreement with libraries. Otherwise Ancestry would never get any subscribers!
                            Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                              Sadly not Holly! It goes against the terms of the agreement with libraries. Otherwise Ancestry would never get any subscribers!
                              LOL, wouldn't it be good if we could though!!

I'm trying to look at US Records at the moment, (to follow some of the Welsh side of my family who emmigrated there in the 1900's), - & I only have access to the UK Collections on Ancestry. I can't really justify the upgrade fee to go Worldwide, & so am looking at it in the Library...I can't believe how busy the PC's in our local Library get!!

Holly.

Comment

I used to work at Hertfordshire CC and they have a rather good family history centre in the Register block at County Hall. They also have a very pleasant archivist and document restorer with wonderful facilities to preserve historic documents, it's very interesting watching him work.
                                Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

I access The Times Digital Archive through Herts Library (I live in the North of the county)
                                  I'm off to check this out .... Thanks Christine :-)
                                  ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Bedfordshire library hasn't got it yet, but they may be still in the throes of burying Beds. County Council (d. 31 March 2009).
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                    X