PDA

View Full Version : Herts Library Service has the British Library C19th Newspapers

Christine in Herts
27-10-09, 22:07
I was in our local library today, using Ancestry.com, and found that Herts has added the BL C19th Newspapers to their online facilities - usable from home. :smilee:

I believe that you do have to live in Herts to be a member, but I wondered how many Hertfordshire folk had spotted this!

Christine

John-Nihon
28-10-09, 02:15
Hi Christine, Have you a link that can be used to get to it from home?

Elaine ..Spain
28-10-09, 07:33
You could access from the main Hertfordshire library site but as Christine said you would need to be a member of Herts library service.
hertsdirect.org Newspapers and Magazines online (http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/libraries/online/onlinereflib/newsandmag/)

Elizabeth Herts
28-10-09, 07:38
Oooh, thanks Christine! I shall definitely be checking that out!

John-Nihon
28-10-09, 07:49
I've managed to work it out and got in OK now. Many thanks.

Sue from Southend
28-10-09, 07:56
Essex Libraries have them now as well. It's probably worth checking your own library web site to see if they have them yet. As Christine says you will need to have library ticket number to access them tho':smilee:

Oakum Picker
28-10-09, 08:37
Found out this weekend that Suffolk Libraries also has them.

Little Nell
28-10-09, 09:42
I am a Herts Library user but hadn't spotted this. Thanks Christine!

Janet
28-10-09, 09:57
Thankyou Christine. Even as a Herts Library member I had not seen this! Will look at it later.

Janet

Trina
28-10-09, 10:40
Hampshire has it too.

Crafty Sue
28-10-09, 11:09
It looks like Worcester has it too. :)

WendyPusey
28-10-09, 12:19
Wish the Isle of Wight had them.:F:F

I can't use the Hampshire one.

Holly
02-11-09, 07:41
I was in our local library today, using Ancestry.com, and found that Herts has added the BL C19th Newspapers to their online facilities - usable from home. :smilee:
I believe that you do have to live in Herts to be a member, but I wondered how many Hertfordshire folk had spotted this!
Christine

Hi Christine,

I'm in SW Herts, - & I hadn't spotted this!

I only discovered last week that I could access Ancestry Worldwide at my local Library. Can this also be accessed at home?

Cheers, Holly.

Sue from Southend
02-11-09, 07:49
Sadly not Holly! It goes against the terms of the agreement with libraries. Otherwise Ancestry would never get any subscribers!

Holly
02-11-09, 08:49
Sadly not Holly! It goes against the terms of the agreement with libraries. Otherwise Ancestry would never get any subscribers!

LOL, wouldn't it be good if we could though!!

I'm trying to look at US Records at the moment, (to follow some of the Welsh side of my family who emmigrated there in the 1900's), - & I only have access to the UK Collections on Ancestry. I can't really justify the upgrade fee to go Worldwide, & so am looking at it in the Library...I can't believe how busy the PC's in our local Library get!!:eek:

Holly.

andymak
02-11-09, 23:55
I used to work at Hertfordshire CC and they have a rather good family history centre in the Register block at County Hall. They also have a very pleasant archivist and document restorer with wonderful facilities to preserve historic documents, it's very interesting watching him work.

Viv
03-11-09, 00:44
I access The Times Digital Archive through Herts Library (I live in the North of the county)
I'm off to check this out .... Thanks Christine :-)

Uncle John
03-11-09, 19:52
Bedfordshire library hasn't got it yet, but they may be still in the throes of burying Beds. County Council (d. 31 March 2009).