How do I find this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find this out?

I have 2 possible GRO death references for a Mary Murray. One is 1954 in West Cheshire 1Q 10a 793 and the other is 1967 Birkenhead 1Q 10a 12.

Is there any way that I could find out which one is mine before order the certificate? I have her maiden name, parents's names and the full name of her deceased husband and his occupation.

Is it worth my while putting a thread on the Records Office Requests board? I don't want to post there asking for something that is not possible to get.

Nudge.

Comment

I think your only option is to order the certificate.
      If you knew which church either were buried at then you could check the burial records to see if they gave a clue, but I presume you don't have this information.
      Elaine

Comment

What about contacting the register office(s) by phone or email and asking if their death matches your information? You have the quarter in each case so the search shouldn't be extensive. The GRO reference is no use to them but you do have a rough date and some names.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks both for the suggestions. I'm afraid I don't know where the husband is buried. They had a young child who died aged 3 when they were living in Odd Rode area so they could be buried there and not Birkenhead area where the husband died.

As the postal strike is on, I think this one will have to go on the back burner for now.

Comment

You don't need to know where the husband is buried. Deaths are all entered in one register per sub-district like births, so all the registrar needs to know is the approximate date of death, which you've got from the GRO references. Hopefully the informant will be someone whose name you recognise.

Just noticed that Cheshire has a lot of records on line so you might find it there. Here's a link Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths
            or you can access it via www.ukbmd.org.uk
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X