Could it be a foreign name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could it be a foreign name?

I have still been searching for the last few days for a Lignavitre Reuel (Heaps by 1829) birth/baptism circa 1805. I am starting to wonder if she could have been German or something though, because when I put Reuel into any search I get hardly any for England but quite a few from abroad :conf: Can anyone suggest anything else I can do to find her please? For anyone who hasn't seen previous threads her odd first name is probably because she was a gypsy (and yes thank you, I do know that Lignum Vitae is a hard wood) :Big Grin:
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

:tong:

arrrrrrrgh

Seriously it could be that she came from overseas quite where overseas I don't know but the name Reule is also in Somerset although that might be a red herring.

Comment

I give up :Big Grin::Big Grin:

Comment

If you look on Familysearch, there are loads of Reuel baptisms all over the country.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I knew that name rang a bell, it's part of JRR Tolkiens name, he had German ancestors and was born ib South Africa.......

Comment

I did see some Wendy but a lot of the ones that came up in England were Rewell or similar. No sign of a Lignavitre or Lignum Vita or similar though. As I can't find them in 1851 and before her death in 1855 I don't even know where she says that she was born.

I didn't know that Barbara about JRR Tolkiens name. Maybe I should try to contact him

Comment

Hi - Not sure about the info on your previous threads so might be repeating -this site has mentions of gypsy/traveller forums...Guide to History : Friends, Families and Travellers and this site also discusses names within their community It's All in a Name - Gypsy
              Last edited by naomiatt; 28-10-09, 08:06.

Comment

I see she died in Belper area 1860.

june q 1860

Belper-Derbyshire
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you naomiatt :smilee: No, I hadn't seen that, I will take a look.

Yes Julie, on 13th June 1860 of Smallpox. That's why I would love to find them in 1851 as it's the only place I can think of to see where she gives as place of birth.

Comment

I have added the article about names to our wiki page: Fairground/Showmen/Travellers - Family Tree Forum. Thank you for that.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Thank you naomiatt :smilee: No, I hadn't seen that, I will take a look.

Yes Julie, on 13th June 1860 of Smallpox. That's why I would love to find them in 1851 as it's the only place I can think of to see where she gives as place of birth.
                      I guess that the best place to start would be looking through the 1851 cens for belper ? was her death actually IN belper or the surrounding area?
                      Julie

Comment

There's 17 districts in Belper with approx 35-40 pages per district!

Chrissie

I did think to look for Mary Ottowell and I did find her in 1841 in Leicestershire, if thats the right one, Ligna Vitre was not around and not a neighbour either.

Edit to say: Most Ottwells come up in Derbyshire!
                        Last edited by Guest; 28-10-09, 11:33.

Comment

Her death was in Heage Julie and she is buried at Heage St Lukes Derby. The informant was Mary Ottowell who was in attendance in Heage. I imagine that she wasn't at home so that the children didn't catch smallpox. I found a likely Mary Ottewell in 1861 in Heage and she is living next door to possible later family. No relation though that I have discovered.

I will bring the thread back up :Big Grin:
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-10-09, 11:36.

Comment

would that be Hannah? Heaps that is a nurse? on the 1901? with two boys? (this is in Heage btw).. its a lovely little village, and St lukes is in the POW :Wink:
                            Julie

Comment

I have only just started to follow Hannah Julie but I believe that she married John Wilson (they are on 1891 in Kimberworth Rotherham and they have a son Albert (2) born Chesterfied - probably Clay Cross. Oops sorry - I'm talking about Hannah Bonsall.

I have found young Lignum Vita Bonsall in 1881 aged 14 in Codnor.

Thank you for looking.

Have to dash for a bath now - docs after lunch.

Comment

no worries I'll add the family to the other thread, so we can keep it all together
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                  I have added the article about names to our wiki page: Fairground/Showmen/Travellers - Family Tree Forum. Thank you for that.
                                  Not a problem. My OH knows a lot about Travellers and Gypsy's so they're in our Favourites folder!
                                  Also have Romany Gypsy Language | Facebook
                                  (Romany Gypsy Language)
                                  English Gipsies and Their Language: Chapter VI. Gipsy Words Which Have Passed Into English Slang (English Gypsy's and their language)
                                  Your rights - Definitions of 'Gypsy' and 'Traveller' (Definition of Gypsy's and Travellers)
                                  The Gypsy Council (Gypsy Roma Traveller Communities)

Comment

I dont know if anyone's posted this link for Heage burials?

Alphabetical

LEGNERVITRE HEAP is there.

The rest of the site's helpful too for Heage research

Ancestral Archive Material
                                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Thank you Naomiatt and Guy :smilee:

I think I have found William Heaps burial on there too Guy. I have just spent ages on the site and saved it to my favourites. I think I have found others from another branch as well.

Comment

Working...
                                      X