Number of baptisms in a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of baptisms in a day?

Looking on the Ancestry LMA records for St Leonard Shoreditch, I've come across the baptism (or not!) of my 4x great uncle. The entry is crossed out and a note written by the side 'left the church, fees not paid, child not christened'.

A couple of others have similar. Could it have had something to do with the fact that there wer 38 christenings that day?

I think it probably means they didn't pay their bill and so left the church (as in parishioners) so as far as that church is concerned they're not christened by that church.

I know what you're thinking, got fed up waiting in the queue its something I ged fed up with these days and invariably leave the shop without the goods :smilee:

I don't know maybe that's right someone else might know. Perhaps they did have a long queue.
    Last edited by Guest; 27-10-09, 12:04.

Comment

lol Maggie - I know what you mean! I find the older I get the less patient I am.

Just found that they came back and had him 'done' a week later at the same church - when there were a mere 22 baptisms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        lol Maggie - I know what you mean! I find the older I get the less patient I am.

Just found that they came back and had him 'done' a week later at the same church - when there were a mere 22 baptisms.
        :Big Grin:

Oh so its true they got fed up waiting in the queue! That is funny.

Comment

Perhaps they booked the christening but couldn't raise the money on the day?

Comment

Working...
          X