1911 Census and Macs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census and Macs

Some time ago I contacted the 1911 customer support team to ask if I could access their site as I am a Mac user. The answer came that they don't support Macs but from past experience they knew the browser Firefox worked ok with Macs on their site. Can any Mac user tell me if this is correct? I would like to take out a subscription but am wary in case I waste my money.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Hi Jennie

I do not use Windows I use Linux which is a relation of the Apple operating system.
    I have used Firefox to access the 1911 Census with no problem , so you should have no problem with your Mac.

Ken

Comment

I have an apple mac and I can use 1911 census o.k.

jean

Comment

I use Safari (or Firefox if Safari's having an off day)

Haven't found any problems accessing the 1911 census, although I've only used the free bits ~ am also considering taking out a 6 month sub, so will watch this thread
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ken, I will try Firefox and see if that is any good. Jean, what browser do you use please? Rachel, I am getting the sub as an early birthday pressie. Did you know there is a 20% discount if you sign up before 31 Oct? Don't miss out. Will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennie from Lincs View Post
            Thanks everyone for the replies. Ken, I will try Firefox and see if that is any good. Jean, what browser do you use please? Rachel, I am getting the sub as an early birthday pressie. Did you know there is a 20% discount if you sign up before 31 Oct? Don't miss out. Will let you know how I get on.
            Just had a look re the 20% discount.
            I have Ancestry until next Feb, so I only need the census ... hmmmm :F

Family history records subscriptions at Findmypast.com

£40 for 6 months is abt £1.60 per week :smilee:
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Rachel,

1911, have always got some sort of discount so I would use up your Ancestry. Do you have the Find My Past Newsletter by email? That is where I notice the offers.

Love your Red Apple, wonder why you have that! Still looking at them problem is I have visions of the day that I pay over the top for a Mac the price will crash next day.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                Rachel,

1911, have always got some sort of discount so I would use up your Ancestry.
                Not sure I can wait another 4 months ! :Wink:

Actually, computer says it's more like £1.50 per week for 6 months (FMP ~ 1911 sub).

Comment

Ooooo look Margaret :Big Grin:

Apple - iMac - The ultimate all-in-one desktop computer.

I now have the little tiny keyboard ~ it's really nice to use ... mmmmmmmm:smilee:

(still have the same computer though ~ it's only a 21 inch G5)
                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 29-10-09, 22:09.

Comment

Update

I tried using Firefox but found on the search fields I had to 'clear' all the fields before trying another search - that became tedious having to type all the info in again. I then tried Safari and found I could just delete one field, just change the date for instance, and then carry on with my search - much better! So of course I will only use Safari from now on.

Not having used Findmypast before it took a while to get used to their way of searching and I must say I prefer Ancestry (the old way) where you could add place of birth, spouse's name etc in the first search. I will get used to it though and it is so good to see ancestors actual handwriting on the 1911.

Jennie

Comment

Working...
                    X