Pre 1837 marriages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 1837 marriages?

Can anyone tell me please - is there anywhere that 'better' marriage records pre 1837 can be seen, other than those at the records office. What I mean is, are there original books anywhere that marriages were listed in and where would you view them? I have a marriage that I copied from a list at the records office but it isn't very clear at all and I thought perhaps the brides name would be clearer in the original register.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Original registers are nearly always deposited at the County Records Office. Most records offices then make them available to view on microfilm or fiche to save wear and tear on the original books. Occasionally the records office makes transcripts of the registers available as well or instead of the filmed originals. If the records you are accessing are unclear try asking the archivist if you can see the original. I've always had a positive response when I've asked. Good hunting.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oh thank you Judith I will try that :smilee: I see another trip to the records office coming on :Big Grin:

Comment

Yes, I didn't realise they would be willing to get the originals out. I struggled with a poor fiche for ages and commented about it as I was leaving (nicely! :tong. "Oh, you should have asked us to get the original out if you couldn't read it!" Was the answer.

I will .... next time! :Big Grin:

Anne

Comment

We live and learn at this game don't we Anne :Big Grin: I may give them a ring first and tell them my problem and ask if they have the originals. It's only about 40 mins away but it's difficult to park and I don't want to waste petrol :Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
          X