Ackton Hall Colliery, Featherstone, Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ackton Hall Colliery, Featherstone, Yorkshire

In January 1875, my great great grandfather, Charles Guilford, was living at Loscoe, Ackton (between Normanton and Featherstone in Yorkshire) and working as a railway wagon builder.

For a long time I have thought that it must have been at Normanton, as it was an important railway terminus at the time. However I found no reference to a locomotive works at Normanton, and looking again at maps of the area, it would have been a fair walk to get to Normanton and you would have imagined that he would have lived nearer.

What I have found though is that Ackton Hall Colliery opened in 1873. On a map of Ackton there is an Ackton Hall Crescent, although references on the internet describe it as being in nearby Featherstone.

Please can a local tell me the exact location of the colliery please. Apparently it was the first to close after the miner's strike in 1985.

I've just emailed the West Yorkshire archives asking if they hold staff records...

does this help??

Life at Ackton Hall Colliery

maybe not..

this might though

this is kinda vague

WGS 84: 53° 40′ 44.4″ N, 001° 21′ 42.1″ W, OSGB36: SE 4226 2047
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-10-09, 16:06.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I didn't find the first one Julie - I use AOL Search powered by Google - so maybe I get different results??

It does make reference to where the colliery's line met the main line at Featherstone, but not the actual colliery location, unfortunately.

I found the Featherstone Wikipedia page earlier - it suggests that the colliery was in the town??

Hopefully a local would know the exact location, and hopefully tell me where a railway wagon builder living in Ackton would most likely to have worked!!

Comment

dunno..

I just used google.. :smilee:

looking at satellite imaging from google, the new industrial est that is more or less slap bang in the centre of town, would be a prime candidate for sidings and colliery.. inbetween wakefield road and green lane
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-10-09, 16:20.
        Julie

Comment

I saw that industrial estate by the railway line on the aerial view and did wonder... ??

I did find this through Google Pennine Wagons - limited edition wagons - product description and I think that this would have been exactly the sort of thing he would have worked on... so hopefully my search for his workplace is getting warmer instead of colder!! :D

Comment

you'd be suprised Rachel..

very near to me is an old colliery.. the sidings and MPD were massive!!

if you look on this ariel model the top part is one colliery, and the bottom bit another colliery, then the sidings/MPD behind that.

Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-10-09, 18:36.
            Julie

Comment

Hmmm... it's very similar isn't it?...

BTW this is my railway ancestor who I discovered leaving the locomotive works in Brighton in Feb 1872 in the records held at the National Archives

He married his first wife on 29th December 1873 in Brighton and by the time their daughter was born in January 1875 they were in Ackton. Sadly they had to return to Brighton, because his wife died there of TB on 1st November 1875. 5 years later he married my great great grandmother in London...

Hopefully a local will see this thread...

Comment

uh huh..

I would love to goto TNA.. but I dont suppose it'll happen.
                Julie

Comment

re. ackton hall colliery.loscoe. and ackton. wagon repairs were done at a;h;c; featherstone. ackton and loscoe were 1.5 miles apart. two collieries closer to loscoe were whitwood and dom pedro.distance from loscoe to a.h.c. 3 miles. loscoe no longer exists; now a trading estate.

Comment

Thanks kinner. I've since established that he probably worked at Dom Pedro because Loscoe was the worker's village for the mine. Although I haven't heard of Whitwood - whereabouts was this please??

Comment

Had a look in my railway atlas published 1988 which shows every line and private siding then in existence. Oddly enough the relevant sheet is reproduced on the front cover of the dust-jacket. Nothing at all showing between Wakefield and Castleford, so the rail connection must have been removed before then.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Might be worth a quick call to the curatorial department (ask for Ellie Swinbank) at the Scottish Mining Museum. It has the biggest collection of mining reference material in the UK, not just Scottish stuff either, if there isn't anything there then she could probably tell you who to contact.

Tel 0131 6637519
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Does this help? Seems to show three mines and their locations.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk
                          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                            Might be worth a quick call to the curatorial department (ask for Ellie Swinbank) at the Scottish Mining Museum. It has the biggest collection of mining reference material in the UK, not just Scottish stuff either, if there isn't anything there then she could probably tell you who to contact.

Tel 0131 6637519
                            Thanks Glen. This is quite an old thread, and at the time I rang the West Yorkshire archive and they said that they didn't hold anything for the Dom Pedro, where I'm pretty sure he worked now, because he lived at Loscoe, which appears to have been the worker's village. I'll give the museum a call and hopefully they might hold something

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                              Does this help? Seems to show three mines and their locations.
                              http://www.dmm.org.uk/company/a1015.htm
                              Thanks Phil. Henry Briggs, Son & Co owned Dom Pedro, and unfortunately they are not listed.

Comment

Hi, I am not sure whether my grandfather was a miner at this collliery but he was living in Featherstone at the time of his marriage in 1898. Acording to his marriage certificate he was known as Wheppton Homer Hunt aged 21, and later went to live in Hunslet, Leeds. with his wife, Violetta and his two children in 1901.
                                If you do have any further information regarding the Featherstone colliery I would love to hear it.
                                Margaret Parrish

Comment

My great-grandmother was born at Loscoe, Ackton on 20th October 1876, whilst her father John worked in the colliery as a coal miner. I've found this thread absolutely fascinating, as I knew nothing about the mining of the area. Thank you so much to all contributors. I shall certainly be checking back to see if any new information emerges

Her birth record

Comment

Hi Babel and welcome to FTF

Unfortunately, I have been unable to track down the archive of the Dom Pedro mine and it seems likely that the records no longer exist.

I did find a website with a photo of Loscoe village, but I can't seem to find it now.

This book is interesting, although it refers to the mine and village in the 20th century:
                                    Life in the Shadow of The Dom Pedro by Jack Gillard ISBN 0951786601

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                                      Thanks Phil. Henry Briggs, Son & Co owned Dom Pedro, and unfortunately they are not listed.
                                      had you seen this Rachel?

Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie - I've actually just found it by Google funnily enough! :D

Babel - I'm sending you a personal message through the site

Comment

Working...
                                        X