Surviving Railway Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving Railway Records

I was at the National Archives yesterday looking at the records for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. Considering how much paperwork, ledgers etc must have been produced since it started in the 1840s until it was absorbed into the Southern Railways in the early 1920s, it really is quite depressing what is actually held at Kew...

Here's the link to the reseach guide The National Archives | The Catalogue | Research Guides If you scroll down you will see what's held for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway... which really isn't much.

I was hoping to find the staff records of my great x3 grandfather who died as the station master of Henfield, and also for his son who went on to be in charge of (possibly) Brixton station. But there was nothing about them.

I did find out that my great great grandfather left the locomotive works in Brighton in Feb 1872, which has set up another mystery, and also confirmed that his brother worked there too...

But... are these really the few records which have survived, or are they held elsewhere?? I don't feel willing to give up just this yet... !!

I googled for the London and South Coast Railway and found thisLB&SCR Personalities Does that tally with what you found?
    Margaret

Comment

Cheshire and Chester Archives holds staff registers of 4 former railway companies, so perhaps the local RO will hold something similar.

Jxx

Comment

Thanks Margaret, I did Google but didn't find that...

I'm really cross with myself now because on clicking on each it just takes you to the first reference and that's what I ordered up. For example I ordered RAIL 414/600 as that's the page you get when you click on RAIL 414/600-611 on the screen. Even though I found my great great grandfather and his brother in there, I now see that I could have found out so much more in the other books, such their apprenticeships etc... :(

Oh well, it's all a learning curve, and means that I'm due a return visit!

Many thanks for finding that Margaret

Thanks Jules for the advice - I emailed Brighton History Centre earlier asking if they hold anything...

Comment

Sorry can't offer any advise but i'm interested in the same subject & interested to hear your experience. Might get down to TNA one day & have a look at the records for my lot, if they exist.
          Jay

Comment

Is that with the same railway company or another one? Just don't make the same mistake as me with the reference numbers!

It was my first visit to Kew yesterday and I was so lucky to have Mandy [in Wiltshire] there to help me. Least I know my way around now.

It took ages to get my reader's card though. Queued up once only to be told that I needed to input my own details into one of their terminals. So joined the end of the long queue again only to be told that my old style driving licence and bank statement was insufficient and I needed photo ID! Luckily I had a council card in my handbag in my locker which had my photo on, but I refused to queue up again, and I apparently got some dirty looks when I queue jumped.

It was very busy there yesterday, I don't know if that's normal?

Comment

Didn't you take Scooby with you to help?
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Unless he's a guide dog they wouldn't have let him in! ;D

Comment

The people on that registration desk can be soo rude :F Which is a shame as it can put people off. some Saturdays can be very very busy as often FH lor LH groups organise day trips out. You do learn a bit more every time you go there tho. I don't think I could ever finish researching down there:kool: there is always something new to find out or records that suddenly come out of closure dates to browse through.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought that!

I was trying to order some more items on a terminal and I had problems swiping my card. I turned to a member of staff and she said rather abruptly and rudely, it's not working go and use another one... only to use it herself!! Obviously she wanted me off of there!

However I did find two helpful members of staff, so they are around!! :D

Comment

I expect staff morale's a bit low after all the cut-threats - especially as the boss is getting a cost-cutter's bonus!

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ahhh, is that what is was... there's was obviously something up with most of them on Saturday!

Comment

have you had a shuftie through our railways page Rachel?

Railways - Family Tree Forum

and there is this

Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-10-09, 15:18.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie

Comment

no probs :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

Ohhhhh fame at last :Big Grin: I have Railway ancestors, so I followed Julie's link and found one of my photos :Big Grin::Big Grin:
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  Ohhhhh fame at last :Big Grin: I have Railway ancestors, so I followed Julie's link and found one of my photos :Big Grin::Big Grin:

ooohhh eck..

:Big Grin:
                                  Julie

Comment

Fantastic photo... used it in the mag too...

Comment

Thanks Velma :smilee: It's lovely to know that my photos are useful :smilee:
                                      p.s. If you've got a canal section I've got a couple of lovely new barge (old world) photos lol
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Been there and done it in March... sorry!

Got a great one from James for that issue (along with your railway ones of course)...

Although you could always post it up on the living musuem thread and it's there if we need it in future...

Comment

Working...
                                        X